furnace problem

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Carol

furnace problem

Post by Carol » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:10 am

Tracy,
The electric furnace in my 10 year old 68 x 28 MH died and I had it replaced with a new downflow, direct vent (sealed combustion) forced oil furnace made by Miller. I live in a very rural area with no government oversight or enforcement on contractors (HVAC and others). The installer did a very poor job. Two weeks ago I suspected carbon monoxide (CO), which did measure over 9 PPM throughout the house. A repairman closed the huge hole in the ceiling left by the installer and the CO level came down. (We still don't know how or why CO was coming from the hole in the ceiling.) Now there is a strong smell of burning fuel. This seems to happen intermittently.
I cannot depend on professionals to determine the cause of this problem, because there are no professionals in my area. A visual inspection of the roof jack shows no blockage, but someone said the roof jack had to be 3 feet high, which it is not. Do you think this may be the problem?
Also, about 3 minutes after the furnace cycles and goes off, it comes back on for 10-15 seconds. Is this a big problem or something I can to live with?
My biggest concern is the fuel smell. Can you suggest a cause and solution? Thank you.

Breezy

Re: furnace problem

Post by Breezy » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:29 am

Hi, I had a furnace problem for the past 4 years as well! I have a miller downdraft furnace, which is according to the mobile home repair place, the cadillac of furnaces. I have found that the ONLY reliable people are those who repair mobile homes only. I have had numerous furnace people out but they have no clue about these sort of furnaces. See if you can get someone from a moblie home repair company. You can also look in your warranty info and call to find a parts place locally for your miller and ask them who repairs them. They have been very good at paying for parts for mine.
Furthermore I had the same problem with the cycling off and on. It took until this year and my calling the moblie home repair business to get it right. My furnace is natural gas, and I have had numerous ignitors, and also the ignitor
control had to be replaced. My rooms at the end of my 1496 sq ft home were cold for the past 4 years!! All it took was turning up the blower on that for it to work right. For the first time since I have owned the place the furnace works! Trust me when I tell you that these furnaces are not like normal furnaces, I know it seems as if they would be but, all contractors and other furnace companies did was make a bad thing worse. They have done stuff like bypass relays and other lovely things like that.
So if all else fails and you can't find someone, call miller and talk to them, with regards to finding someone in your area. I wish you luck because I know what a nightmare it can be and there aren't too many people who work on mobiles correctly!!

Carol

Re: furnace problem

Post by Carol » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:40 pm

Breezy,
Thanks so much for responding to my post. I should have said, "I live in an EXTREMELY rural area." The HVAC repair companies in the nearest town refuse to look at the furnace. The first question they ask on the phone is "what kind of furnace do you have?" As soon as I say Miller, they say they don't work on them and I get that trailer trash attitude.
The dealer uses one person who (in keeping with the culture here) never returns my phone calls. I have called the manufacturer so many times they know my voice.
I am trying to understand a possible cause for the fuel smell, so I can relay that information to someone who might be willing to follow directions.
Can someone please help?

Carol

P.S. for Breezy

Post by Carol » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:47 pm

Thanks for answering my question about the 10-15 second post-burn cycle event. I won't worry about it.

Jerry Lenhard

Re: P.S. for Breezy

Post by Jerry Lenhard » Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:13 pm

Carol: YOu'll get a lot faster & surer action by having an attorney write a letter.
It is normal for these companies to ignore your pleas for help. There are many
state & federal laws we don't know about that protect us. A letter from you or
I goes in "File 13". A letter from an attorney gets immediate action, as they
know it's the "foundation" for a future lawsuit if they don't make good. Also,
There are statutes of limitations on guarantees, warrantys etc., so don't waste
any time. If you live in California Call GSMOL for the name of an attorney or
someone near you who may help 800-888-1727. If you live in another state,
call the State Bar Assoc. & ask for an attorney that has experience in these
matters (warranty-guarantee). Get going