shaking furniture

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Mary

shaking furniture

Post by Mary » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:15 pm

I have a new double wide, made in 2000. When we would walk across the floor, the furniture would shake. The company still has not fixed everything that was under warrenty, but last summer they worked on the shakey floors. There answer was to put steel bars under the floor. This helped in some places. I did not think this was something you should have to do to a new home! If it is a manufacturing defect, shouldn't it just be replaced? The bathroom wall was also bowing, which he pounded on the nails and left indentations on the wall every where he pounded. Has anyone else had this trouble? Or do I have men fixing that does not know what they are doing? There is so many things wrong. Help!! Thankyou.

Dan F.

Re: shaking furniture

Post by Dan F. » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:11 am

I would like to hear about this. I remember alot of the model homes we toured did this. Does it have to do with the 2x6 floor joists or is it "bigger" than that?

Mary

Post by Mary » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:31 pm

The floor joists in my home are 2x6". 16"o.c. They say the floor decking is glued and mechanically secured. I do not think they secured mine enough. I had looked for 3 years to find a home I liked, but seems I got a lemon anyway. Of course, if the company would stand behind their warranty, maybe I would not have so many problems. I guess I did not check out the company good enough.The fix it men, don't know how to fix! They did a terrible job in setting up my home. Now I have the steel beams secured under my home to help this problem, and I am sure that knocked down my resale value!

Cindy

Post by Cindy » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:24 pm

You do not say what state you live in. Check with your local Better Business Bureau for the phone number and address for the Manufactured Housing Commission in you state. Most states have them now to protect consumers. Hope this helps.