reroofing

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
James Krause

reroofing

Post by James Krause » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:53 pm

I have a 1988 royal cove single wide (14X70) built by skyline it has a tin roof and no over hang. I would like to put a shingled roof on and build a little over hang to get the water away from the walls. I have a cathederal celling and I'm concerned about if the rafters will carry the extra load. how do I accomplish this task?

James

Tracy

Re: reroofing

Post by Tracy » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:15 am

I would recommend having your roof inspected by a roofing contractor and get their opinion on whether or not the existing rafters will support a shingled roof. In a lot of cases, manufactured homes, especially lower end homes, are engineered to meet minimum standards. This means that your existing rafters probably won't support the additional weight and still meet roof load requirements. In this case, your options would be to remove the existing roof, rafters and all or build a free standing structure over your home, similar to a giant car port for your house. I've seen both done.

Good luck!
Tracy

John

Post by John » Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:39 am

I am a carpenter. You can build your roof with galvanized metal. It is lightweight,
It won't rust, and it is inexpensive. I have done this, and I have a foot overhang on each side. The roof has lasted through Florida weather 5 years..... enough said.

BOB

Post by BOB » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:21 pm

The comment about using galvinized roofing is correct. I have done this as well. it works and you can do it yourself if you are a bit handy.