Fireproofing Interior Walls

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Pat

Fireproofing Interior Walls

Post by Pat » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:15 pm

What would you use to fireproof the interior walls of a mobile home that is being remodeled. Does sheetrock fit into this category?

Mac Walker from Oregon

Re: Fireproofing Interior Walls

Post by Mac Walker from Oregon » Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:37 pm

Yes.

Pat

Post by Pat » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:22 pm

Is this then paintable or does another surface have to be applied?

Mac Walker

Post by Mac Walker » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:31 pm

You need to tape it - that is, use paper tape and drywall mud to cover the nail or screw dents and the seams. To make it just like the interior of a new site-built house, you'll want to texture it. This further hides any seam / screw spots. You can have this done (I would, I am a klutz that way).
After this is done, you paint. By the way: If you are down to the wall studs, this is a great opportunity to insulate between inside walls if you want more quiet (the sheetrock will help also) and I would install plastic sheeting over the studs and behind the sheetrock on any exterior walls, as a vapor barrier. An alternative is to use paint to achieve the same effect. Can anyone help me with where to get a good sealing paint? Does Kilz qualify?

BOB

Post by BOB » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:25 pm

I don't see how you are going to install an effective vapor barrier without removing the outside wall/covering. An alternative to what you suggest is to simply use plastic encased insulation. In fact that is the only kind that my local Home Depot sells anymore.

Ddoouglas Morris

Post by Ddoouglas Morris » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:36 am

Drywall will retard fire! However it is not necessary to "texture". If I were contracted to do your job, I would consider removing the panelling present. Insulating, vapor barrier is terrific if done as an envelope,( into the roof and under floor covering. Caulking is very important. For a more complete answer please feel free to email me. Doug Morris, Woodcreek Finishing. Inc. Gibraltar, Michigan