Does the roof support itself.

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Walter McGonte

Does the roof support itself.

Post by Walter McGonte » Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:16 pm

I want to remove some walls to open up my kitchen/dining room. My friend told me that none of the inner walss are load bearing. Is that true? I have a '75 Bendix 16'x80'. Thanks in advance.

Tracy

Re: Does the roof support itself.

Post by Tracy » Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:30 pm

Because your home is built from the inside out and the ceiling is lifted into place, most times this is true, unless you have a ceiling that makes a transfer say from flat to vaulted then you may have to cross brace. Make certain you don't have a dormer setting on top the roof as the crosswall may help support the extra weight.

Also keep in mind if you have electrical in the wall it may be stubbed up from within the belly and you will have to deal with that as well as the screw holes left in the lino and the ceiling texture.

I once did a job in which the customer wanted to open the kitchen up more to the living room and instead of removing the entire wall and dealing with the flooring we simply cut the wall down and added a countertop bar. The loved the open space and the extra countertop!

Let us know how it turns out.

Tracy

dennis

Re: Does the roof support itself.

Post by dennis » Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:00 pm

I have (today) taken the wall between the living rm / kitchen out. In the progress of building a new table / computer desk in it's place. Question.. there is a wire ,from light switch on old wall, hanging from middle of ceiling. how do i retract or reroute this wire? Does the wiring run through the 2 x 4 walls?
thxs for your continued support.