redecorating

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
JoAnne

redecorating

Post by JoAnne » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:36 pm

Just bought my first manufactured home. Is it feasible to remove the small firring strips between panels of wall board to 1) wallpaper over existing panels? or 2) fill in the spaces between the individual panels with spackle compound or joint compound or plaster patch etc. Then paint or wall paper over the walls so they appear to be 'dry walled'?? If so, what are the most reliable products to use?

Stefanie

Re: redecorating

Post by Stefanie » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:44 pm

I bought my manufactured home 4 years ago and I removed every firring stip and used tape and joint compund to fill all the spaces between the drywall. I wallpapered some walls and stuccoed others...onece your inside you never know its a manufactured home

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:45 pm

The firring strips you refer to are known as "batten strips". Depending on what the drywall is cover in may make a difference in the way you tackle your job. Either paper covered or vynal, and if you have a Sherwin Williams store close they can help insure the right products for you.

Have fun!

Tracy

dennis

Post by dennis » Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:11 pm

Hi . i removed the strips on the ceiling by cutting down the middle of them and then carefully pulling out the two sides. the strips are where the trusess are, so i took wood strip of the same size and tacked in its place . i then covered the entire kitchen with a new style light pine 1/8" thick board directly overtop old ceiling . looks great. To change from living room ceiling to kitcen , in that one strip i used floor trim. narrow side to living room and fat side to new kitchen thickness.