Addition

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
S Coley

Addition

Post by S Coley » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:35 pm

I want to add an 8' x 12' addition on the side of my MH. It has metal siding and roof. 14' x 50'. It is an 1997 model Fleetwood. I will use an existing door as entrance to the addition. My problem is how to attach it to the MH. I am not sure of how the walls are constructed.
Is there a good book showing typical MH construction ? I have been doing carpenter work quite some time, just don't want to tear up the MH.
Thanks Sam

ron buckner

Re: Addition

Post by ron buckner » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:44 am

Sam,
This is a tough answer. Your home was built to HUD spec, altering any part of the structural wall system on that home will open you up to serious questions of violations that might prevent you from reselling it without costly repairations. That said, if this is your home, on your property you can do anything to it you want. Your guidelines will probably come from your local city and/or county building code inforcement agencies. I can tell you that as long as you utilize existing openings, building another room next to your home is very feasable. The commen rule is this, if you could undo some screws and actually pull your home away from this "add-a-room", and it would remain standing, then it has not compromised the structural integrity of the home. Removal of siding is temporal, and the roofline can be flashed. I've done it twice, and neither has leaked.

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:49 pm

In most cases the MH is framed in a similar fashion as site built homes, except they will use 24" spacing on interior walls. Exterior walls are usually 16" centers, most manufacturers won't go to the expense of framing in doors and walls with cripple studs, they'll simply run a header between two studs and call it good. Keep that in mind when you tie on a new section. Also make very sure that your new roofline drains properly. If you are in a snow area and you get standing snow on your roof, you may be putting more weight on the roof along the section where you put the addition than it can handle.

Other than that, follow what the local building authority says, and you should be fine.

Tracy

Mary

Post by Mary » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:50 am

We want to add on to our 1996 14x70 Fleetwood E come straight off the home to the addition which is to be a 10x18 with 4' of that to be a covered porch. Can you give us help with the rafters. We are do-it-yourself carpenters but have only done rafters once for a shed.

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:37 pm

Path of least resistance - order your rafter trusses from your local lumber yard. They'll be more expnsive than just buying the lumber, but it will save you time (and headaches) when you put the rafters up. And after all - time is money, right? Take your plans to the lumber yard and they'll help you figure out which trusses will fit your situation.

Tracy