foundations

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Dan F

foundations

Post by Dan F » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:55 pm

I am in CA and want to know if there is other reasons besides looks for doing a pit set or dugout type foundation rather than a 6 inch stem wall with a ponywall which puts the home 32 inches off the ground. I am concerned about water under the home in the winter with the pitset but I really want the home to have a sitebuilt look with only one step up to the front door.

Tracy

Re: foundations

Post by Tracy » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:26 pm

Price may be a big factor. Other than that, I don't know what difference it makes if a home is 24" or 32" off the ground. Unless you have proper runoff the water will always be a problem.

Good Luck

Tracy.

Dan F.

Post by Dan F. » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:54 am

Tracy,
Let me see if am understanding I have equal risk of water settling under the home at any height the home is set even at grade. The thing I should focus on is runoff and proper drainage.
The reason i ask is the contractor gave me this big schpeal about water under the home is the #1 problem with these homes and if I pit set I will have to run a sump. I am way above any water table on a hill so is this a factor? I should also mention that my home backs up to a good sized slope. I am aware it will cost more but if the chance is the same I would rather have a "residential site built look" then the 3 feet in the air standard set.

michael sotire

Post by michael sotire » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:50 pm

potentially lower refi interest rates and increased resale value are reasons to consider a permanent foundation that complies with new standards. There is a process that must be followed, but you will learn your best bet, before any money is spent. If you are in an area of affordable housing economic development, there are many financial aspects consider, and including low or no interest HI loans and grants.