Redecorating

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Threnody

Redecorating

Post by Threnody » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:11 pm

My house has the same wallpaper in every single room of the house. What I would like to do is to paint over the papered sheetrock to at least get some color in there (Pale beige walls and white molding just looks blah after a while.) I've noticed my paper has a slight texture to it as well. Is it possible to paint over this stuff? If so, what kind of paint would I need to get or wall priming would I need to do?

Also, this is an "income tax return project" of the future, but we would like to eventually remove the carpet in the living room & den (possibly the dining room too) and put down laminate flooring. My home is on concrete footers and I really haven't noticed much settling, even with the torrential rains we've had of late. Is this possible in mfg homes? I am worried that if my house settles I'd have planks popping out of their locks.

Babs

Re: Redecorating

Post by Babs » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:05 pm

We painted three rooms in our DW and we just got a good latex paint and it went on real well.

Tracy

Re: Redecorating

Post by Tracy » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:42 pm

We have painted countless homes with vinyl covered walls or papered walls. A good quality paint really is the trick. If you have any stains on the walls, especially water stains, food or marker, make sure you prime those areas first, otherwise your stain is just going to bleed through your brand new paint job! If you are unsure about your paint, do a test patch in a closet first. Do an area at least a foot square and let the paint dry. If it appears that your wall paper is bubbling off the wall, stop! You are going to have to prime first. Otherwise you should be good to go!

As for the laminate flooring, go for it. Many manufacturers are using locking laminate flooring in their homes today. Make sure you follow the installation directions that come with the flooring. Most locking floor systems are "floating floors" that allow the floor to move a little with the house as it settles.

Have fun!
Tracy