Truss problem

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Carol

Truss problem

Post by Carol » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:12 pm

I converted my 1992 Commodore 68x30 manufactured home from electric heat to fuel oil. When installing the furnace vent pipe/roof jack, the installer sawed off and removed about six feet of a rafter (from the ridge out) on my scissor truss, instead of using an elbow to go around the truss. The rafters are 16" on center. An engineer from Commodore said my "roof can fail" but he did not clearly state how to repair it. Can you please tell me what needs to be done to support the roof? We can get some heavy snows here -one foot is not unusual. Thank you.

Bobby

Re: Truss problem

Post by Bobby » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:30 pm

Carol,
I am a HVAC contractor that specializes in mfg. housing. When venting the gas furnace (assuming your contractor used an approved for mfg. housing furnace) because of the "sealed combustion " system that is used... I am not aware of the possiblity of using el's in the flue pipe. When we have to cut a truss, we always cross brace to the trusses on both sides... from top of one to the bottom of the next as well as top to bottom of the truss that has been cut on both sides of the truss. This helps to offer additional support.
My biggest concern is that the proper furnace was used as a replacement!!! A mfg. home furnace is different from a residential furnace and can be extremely dangerous. The unit must be "sealed cumbustion" . The vast majority of these units are manufactured by either Nordyne or Evcon.

Good luck,
Bobby

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:13 pm

Carol,
If your installer was up to date on building codes, you should not have a problem. When a manufacturer installs items like water heater vents, fireplace vents, and skylights they often have to cross brace to support the installation.

Carol

Post by Carol » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:12 am

Bobby,
Thanks for your promt reply. Yes, I do have a Nordyne MH furnace.
You state "When we have to cut a truss, we always cross brace to the trusses on both sides... from top of one to the bottom of the next as well as top to bottom of the truss that has been cut on both sides of the truss." Could you please explain that process? What materials are used? Is something nailed to something else? I live in a rural area without qualified HVAC repair people and need to be able to understand and direct this work. Thank you.
Carol

Carol

Post by Carol » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:17 am

Tracy,
I regret to say I live in a rural area and we do not have building codes. I have been here for three years and I am moving to another state for that reason.
Carol

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:26 pm

Carol,

Imagine looking at the ends where the cuts were made.First lay a board on bottom parallel with the ceiling, extending from the truss directly to the right of the one that was cut ,across the bottom of the one that was cut, and over to the one to the left that was not cut. Then, from the top of the truss that was cut , run a board to the bottom of each side of the cross brace( you just installed) on the truss next to it that has not been cut ( we nomally use 2x2 lumber and properly sized nail guns so as not to be hammering on the ceiling) . It should almost look like a triangle when your done.
DO_NOT run one staight up and down .this can cause direct pressure on a small area and cause damage to the ceiling inside when under a heavy load.

Good Luck,
Bobby

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:34 pm

Carol,

It is good that you have confirmed that your new furnace is designed for manufactured homes, people can get into a lot of trouble installing something not designed for the situation it was used in!

As for the truss issue, Bobby's recommendations are good ones. If you have any skylights in your home, you could probably look at how those are braced if you need more clarification on how to proceed.

I completely understand about rural areas not having building codes, unfortunately in too many instances, it gives people license to take advantage of others!

Good Luck!
Tracy

Carol

Post by Carol » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:06 am

Thanks, Tracy and Bobby for helping me to understand this repair. Now if I can just find someone to do it.

Carol