Truss Roof Over Factory Metal Roof

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Bruce71913

Truss Roof Over Factory Metal Roof

Post by Bruce71913 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:51 pm

I live in Arkansas, cold winters, hot humid summers. I want to put a metal roof on my 14' x 51' home using a truss system. I currently have a slightly arched metal roof that has a small leak at one one the seams that I plugged with solar-seal (whatever it's called). I am tired of resealing the roof every couple years. Enough background.

I want to install a metal roof using a truss system that doesn't touch the old roof (except around the perimeter), which is easy enough to design. So my question is do I need to worry about sweat (in summer) or ice (in winter) and mold/mildew forming between them?

I thought maybe applying a coat of solar cool & while its wet covering it with 1" styrofoam to assist in insulating

Thought anyone?

Bruce71913

Re: Truss Roof Over Factory Metal Roof

Post by Bruce71913 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 pm

P.S. I forgot to mention that I am trying to avoid sheeting the roof with plywood. This is what prompts my sweat question.

Marththias

Post by Marththias » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:32 pm

There are numerous advantages of using steel trusses instead of traditional wood trusses the main reasons are simplicity and strength. You never have to worry about them rotting or deteriorating from the weather. Metal roof trusses are fire-resistant, are compatible with almost all types of roofing systems, no insect infestations can occur and chemical treatments are not necessary to maintain the trusses.

rebar

Post by rebar » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:41 pm

Its been done so search more.. Question is, will the mobile home support the extra weight? Probably. I'd build trusses with a nice overhang and cover with conventional plywood and shingles.
bd541b10.jpg
bd541b10.jpg (18.4 KiB) Viewed 3020 times