sealing & painting floors?

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
kimmers39

sealing & painting floors?

Post by kimmers39 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:43 pm

I have a 2003 double wide that I purchased in 08 as a repo. The one bedroom carpet has urine stains that no matter what I have tried over the years I was not able to get the smell out. Now that my daughter has moved out, I am in the process of tearing the carpet out to redo the flooring. I eventually plan on learning how to install pergo type flooring, but right now $ is tight and I don't have the knowledge or the tools.
Will it be okay to prime the wood flooring underneath the carpet with a product like Kilz and then paint over that for now?
I do have a sander, so what little I can find searching the internet is to sand once I have removed all of the nails/staples and then prime and paint.
There are not any issues with water damaged wood.
Which primer would you recommend?
Which type of paint would be recommended?
I see this as a quick and easy way to freshen up the room which will become my office.

Mommaof5

Re: sealing & painting floors?

Post by Mommaof5 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm

I have painted all of my subfloors during our renovations. I didn't prime them though. Your best bet is to use a porch paint that you can get from any hardware store. We have been doing extensive renos on our home that will eventually lead to the entire house being remodeled. Right now though, we don't have the money to put down carpet in the bedrooms(and it really wouldn't do any good with all the work being done anyway because it would be destroyed before we get done) so we are just painting the floors as we go to seal them and protect them from any water leaks as well as to make them livable in the mean time.

Just remove any staples or nails, and if you feel places in the floor where it has splintered just make sure you treat those spots as needed. Then give your floor a good thick coat of paint.