Electrical switches - is there an easier way to change them?

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
MamaBear2016

Electrical switches - is there an easier way to change them?

Post by MamaBear2016 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:02 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a former Electronics Research & Development Technician with an ASEET ( Associate in Science in Electronics Engineering Technology ).

We bought this UBC ( universal building codes ) modular in 2005 and had it placed on a foundation in the west Denver area of Colorado. UBC homes are allowed by local codes, to be put on foundations and become nearly like a "stick built" home in appearance and value. This home was built by Clayton in Kansas and shipped here.

But one of my biggest frustrations is that they used probably THE cheapest electrical switches that money can buy, to the point of them seeming hazardous at times. I have one in one of the bedrooms that can easily sputter and spark if you switch it off too slowly and it lingers in the middle.

Now the problem is that it was a huge hassle for me to replace one in another room. I had to remove the old one from the harness, strip the wires, THEN cut the wall out to JUST the right size to put in a plastic electrical box that could hold a conventional switch ( couldn't find a plain old replacement, of higher quality, for the modular one that was in there! ), then install the new conventional switch. BIG hassle. I've done two of these and they take me about an hour each, plus parts.

BUT are there higher quality direct replacements available that HAVE screw terminals on the back, so I can just take the old ones out and strip the harness wires and attach them to screw terminals instead, without having to cut the wall for a box and all that?

Thanks.