Renovation Questions

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
ctt0002

Renovation Questions

Post by ctt0002 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:39 pm

How is everybody doing? My name is Calvin. I purchased my mobile home back in 07 when i started school. Its a 2002 fleetwood weston series. 14x60 I believe. I am interested in renovating my trailer but i have a few questions before i tackle on this job. I hope the forum can teach me something new. I have renovated houses before but i am not sure if mobile homes can be renovated the same way. Any knowledge from the forum members would be of great appreciation! This is what i would like to do to the mobile home.

Remove carpet in both bedrooms and the living room. I want to put laminate in to replace the carpet.

I would like to put in title flooring in both bathrooms, hall way, and kitchen. Are there anything specific i need to pay attention to? Do i simply put backerboard down and lay the titles?

In the two bathrooms, i would like to replace the vanity with new ones. Change out the toilets as well. I want to take out the bath tub and put in a walk in shower. Can i do the walk in shower like i would in a normal home or is there specific items that i need to purchase because its a trailer?

I would like to replace my cabinets with new ones from home depot/lowes. I want to use granite counter tops for my cabinets as well. Are cabinets in mobile homes the same as the ones i can buy from home depot/lowes? or are they specific type of cabinets for mobile homes only?

Thanks again and i welcome all of the knowledge i can get before the actual renovation.

Fran365

Re: Renovation Questions

Post by Fran365 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi Cttt, I like yourself have come to this forum seeking help with a manufactured home. While I've never worked on a singlewide I have worked 20+ years on a doublewide. I have replaced all my floors, often from the subfloor up. How are your subfloors,? If they have dips and weak spots you will have to decide if your going to replace sheets (4x8) or just the weak sections. My subfloors where glued down and where a job and 1/2 before i could put down 3/4" replacements. Where the nailing is is a key. Sometimes walls are over spots with no nailing, can be an issue. So consider the prep work to be the real job and do not rush it. Just thought some thoughts. Fran

lisagamache

Re: Renovation Questions

Post by lisagamache » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:29 am

While doing structural changes in your mobile home make sure that the strength of the interior floor should not be affected .Replacing partitions gives spacious look to a home which is a matter of concern in small mobile homes .Along with this,Use of particle board in floor should be avoided as it absorbs water and are convenient especially for bathrooms .I got neolith for my mobile-home from an online store .