Load bearing wall?

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
MrGym10

Load bearing wall?

Post by MrGym10 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Hello all, new to the board and looking forward to spending a lot of time here.
I have been searching the archives on finding out if a wall I removed was load bearing. I was told by a house inspector that they were not, but I want to get other opinions before I start building. I have pictures to show the wall location, as well as my rafters.
1. the first wall that I removed (wall A), ran perpendicular to the rafters, but here are the reasons that I thought it was not load bearing:
1. It was not on the marriage line, but about 2-3 feet off the line (separating kitchen from living room).
2. the top and bottom plates were a single 1x4
3. the other side of the marriage line was open, making me think that since the rafters are made the same for both sides, it would not be load bearing.

The second wall (wall B)made a right angle with wall A, and created a hallway from the front door and the living room. it was constructed the same way as wall A (2x4's. top and bottom plates were 1x4).
Judging by your experience, and the photos of my rafters, am I safe in keeping these walls removed?
I can provide more photos and measurements if needed.
Thank you for your time.

Mneighoff1

Re: Load bearing wall?

Post by Mneighoff1 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am

To be honest, I don’t have experience with removing walls in a MH. However, I do in a traditional home. The research I have done on load bearing walls with MH previously has taught me two things: 1) Single wide homes only load bearing walls are the exterior walls. 2) As a double wide is designed to create the strength of an interior wall when mating the two sides and is designed to support mostly itself prior to installation, I would have to understand that along the marriage line is not load bearing. I feel that you should be perfectly safe to keep those walls removed, but if you’d like some piece of mind, you could Incorporate 1 or more columns underneath the marriage line.