windzone2 requirements

Add your name and comments about our web sites.
gaela

windzone2 requirements

Post by gaela » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:51 pm

Hello
My mother-in-law lives in Houston, Texas in a mobile home. Her mobile home is required to have a windzone2 specification to withstand a catergory 2 hurricane, she thinks. What does a windzone2 mean? Is there a web site page where she can read about the different regulations the state requires of its mobile home owners. She wants to know about her mobile home and what catagory hurricane it can withstand.

Thanks,
Gaela

rmurray

Re: windzone2 requirements

Post by rmurray » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:05 pm

Is she OK????...Looks like it did well...but early on Rita looked a lot worse..she should have gone on a weekend vacation.....A wind zone 2 home should be anchored to withstand about 100 mph winds..but they will not withstand floods or large falling trees.....

Texas has a wonderful manufactured home web site by the state government...could be she can call these folks for more info if she needs more than she can find here....

http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/mh/

gaela

Post by gaela » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:07 am

Hi Rmurray
Thank you so much for the information. I forwarded the web site to my mother-in-law. Her mobile home received no damage from hurricane Rita, Yea!!! Only a few tree branches fell on the ground. Thank you for your concern. My mother-in-law left, however, and came and stayed with her family during the storm. We didn't want to take any chances.

Best Regards,
Gaela

Billy

Post by Billy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:25 pm

Is it possible to get a break down of just what makes a MH wind zone 1, 2 ,& 3 ? What I'm asking is just what is different in each zone change, in other words does it mean that a Zone 2 home has more 2x4's or 2x6's on the exterior walls than a zone 1 home? Or stronger or more tiedowns. Is the roof attached better? A through explanation would be educational to most of us who are buying or ordering a new home. Thank You.