modular home rotting

Add your name and comments about our web sites.
phyllis

modular home rotting

Post by phyllis » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:14 am

we have a stratford home, purchased in 1990 and thought it would last the rest of our lives, well at least to the end of the mortgage. It has been eleven years, we have siding that is rotting off, our sill plate is rotted, our windows are rotting and do not close, our bathroom floor is collapsing. Our insurance will not cover it . One estimate puts it at $ 60,000 at least. if this were a car it would be totaled. Any advise of how I procede with this or similar expierence. Thanks for any input

David Oxhandler

Re: modular home rotting

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:09 am

This type problem is not unique to manufactured homes but is commonly found in any wood framed structure that is exposed to dampness. Rot is almost always caused by prolonged exposure to moisture. The extent of the damage that you describe did not occur over night but over years of exposure. Were you not aware of the slow deterioration?

phyllis

Re: modular home rotting

Post by phyllis » Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:27 am

no i was not aware of it. We had bad winds in december and part of our siding blew off. We called the local dealer to put the siding back on and they said that the wood was litterally crumbling. We have had two estimates. One by the dealership's contractor and one independent. The independent said that the wrapping was not done correctly. Also we have a air exchange which I find out now are not adequate. there should have been a roof vent so the moisture could es cape not get trapped in the attic and fall down the sides of the house between the siding.