manufactured home insurance

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
beachgal

manufactured home insurance

Post by beachgal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I am purchasing a manufactured home which will be installed on a 3-car garage that has yet to be built. My insurance company will not insure the manufactured home until it is permanently attached to the foundation (i.e., the garage). How do I insure the home after it comes off of the delivery truck and is on the site, while it is being craned and before it is attached permanently to the garage?

Thank you.

David Oxhandler

Re: manufactured home insurance

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:57 pm

You can not usually get that kind of insurance. That is the insurance that should be carried by your contractors. You need to get a certificate of insurance from each of the contractors that will be working to install the home. Be sure they are licensed, insured for damage to your property and carry workman's comp for their workers. If they don't carry those insurance policies you don't want them working on your home.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

beachgal

Post by beachgal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 pm

I've been researching this matter with my current insurance agent and others for several days. Apparently I could purchase a "Course of Construction" policy, but the difficulty is that the manufactured home (which will be attached to a super-engineered 3-car garage that has yet to be built) will be a rental unit. Those 2 factors in combination make it difficult to insure. My contractor has liability insurance, but I'm afraid there may be a gap in the coverage between where his liability ends and my liability begins. If you know of any insurance company that specializes in manufactured homes and can underwrite a policy for a unique situation, that would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 am

Are you concerned about liability.... that someone might get hurt and you would have to pay? or are you worried about damage to the home?

Your contractors should be FULLY insured against either possibility. Require a certificate of insurance and let your insurance agent or lawyer examine it for gaps.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

beachgal

Post by beachgal » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 pm

My contractor has insurance that covers any accidents or injuries and the building materials for the garage. However, once the home gets on site he told me my insurance needs to cover vandalism.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:11 pm

You need to talk to your insurance pro. You will probably find that you can buy coverage but that it would be less expensive to just put a night watch man on site.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

beachgal

Post by beachgal » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:17 pm

My insurance agent and I have been researching this matter since Friday, and neither one of us have found any simple solutions. Currently, we are waiting to hear back from the high level management at her company to see if they can write up a very specialized policy. Apparently, mine is a very unique situation without apparent precedent, and no one knows how to handle the matter. That's why I have tried this website, because I thought, surely someone before me has placed a manufactured home atop a brand new garage and rented it out.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:25 pm

You seem to be the first!!

Let us know how it turns out.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]