insurance requirement?

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
crystal

insurance requirement?

Post by crystal » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:47 am

i own a 1971 manufactured home and it is in a "manufactured home community" in virginia. i just received a notice from the office at the park stating that i am required to furnish proof of homeowners insurance indicating liability insurance. Can a park require me to have insurance if i own the home? i do rent the property. i was not required to get insurance to get titled by dmv. I also cannot find where in my lease it states that insurance is required. i do plan on talking to the office tomorrow, but any information anyone has would be appreciated.

David Oxhandler

Re: insurance requirement?

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:05 am

Many communities require insurance to protect the homes and people around your home from damage, and to limit the liability of the park management.

We had a park in rural New England back in the 70s before there was cable TV. Every home had a tall antenna attached to it for TV reception. We had a small wind storm and one of the antennas broke loose and found its way in to the home next-door through a window.

Who are the lawyers going to look to if your house guest trips down the stairs to your home, breaks an arm and cant work for months? If you lack insurance the park owner will look like the only pocket big enough to chase.

It seems a reasonable request that you should have some protection to insure those around you that your misfortune wont become theirs.

I think you will find that insurance to cover a home on leased land is fairly economical. Get a free quote here.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]