arson

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
fruitloop012

arson

Post by fruitloop012 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:48 am

We bought our dream home on Nov. 17,2007. Beautiful floor plan. It was a repo and we paid cash. Everthing we had, hoping to be in our home by Christmas. The home was on another man's land and we work day and night to try to get the home ready to be moved. Because the previous homeowners threaten us every othe day that we would never pull the home out they would burn it before we moved it. Thanksgiving night 2007 our beautiful home was burnt by Arsons. We are devasted. We called the dealer we bought it from. Someone had to have insurance on it. Or give us our money back.. The mobile home dealer said we can not get our money back. What!!! This is a disgrace. You mean to tell me we just gave away 22,000 dollars for a burn't home. I can't believe this. Can we sue the dealer or the bank. We need some help. The sheriff dept are just dragging their feet. This is all a very terrible injustice to us.. Please help/

admin

Re: arson

Post by admin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:52 pm

I'm afraid your not going to like my answer very much....

Most home buyers are forced to purchase insurance by their mortgage holder. You paid cash so there was no one to force you to cover your own interest. Unfortunately, if the home was already legally transfer into your name any insurance would be your responsibility.

If the dealer has not transferred title to you then he should have some insurance to cover his inventory. If the home was not re-titled to you, then you may have some recourse, depending on how the purchase contract that you signed reads and your state's law.

The local police are limited in what they can do. With some luck over time they may find the person who torched you home and charge him or her with a criminal offence... BUT they will have no way to make that person replace it or repay you for your loss. That would only be possible by a civil action (law suite) and only once the police can find and then prove who did it. That could take quiet a bit of time or may never happen

Either way you would be well advised to discuss your options with an attorney as the laws will differ from state to state.

Any one purchasing a home outright needs to be aware of the horrid possibilities that can occur if you don't make arraignments for insurance coverage from the second the home belongs to you
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]