Formaldehyde Health Related Issues and MFH Insurance

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
kids4ever

Formaldehyde Health Related Issues and MFH Insurance

Post by kids4ever » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:57 am

I would like to know if there is a high risk related to insuring manufactured housing that is related to formaldehyde exposure? Are there any studies that suggest higher rates of cancer or respiratory issues related to children and elderly individuals who reside in manufactured housing? I would like to know this BEFORE making the commitment to live in a mf home with my children. Thank you.

rmurray

Re: Formaldehyde Health Related Issues and MFH Insurance

Post by rmurray » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:40 pm

NO!!!!! Sounds like you are a wonderful MOM....

admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:11 pm

Here is what the Illinois Department of Public Health has to say:

Products that contain formaldehyde compounds can release formaldehyde gas into the air. These types of releases are known as "off gassing" and they occur most often in products such as plywood, particle board, and other pressed wood products. The amount released is greatest when the product is new, and decreases over time. Formaldehyde is released more readily at warm temperatures and high humidity.

In manufactured homes that contain large amounts of pressed wood products, there are concerns about the initial indoor level of formaldehyde. In 1984, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) set standards for construction of manufactured homes. These standards require that manufacturers only use pressed wood products that release formaldehyde at levels below an accepted guideline. The standards also require that a health notice concerning formaldehyde emissions be included on all new manufactured homes.

HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE FORMALDEHYDE IN MY HOME?

Because of its strong odor, formaldehyde can be smelled at very low levels. The typical person can smell formaldehyde at levels less than those that might cause health effects. People who are hypersensitive or who have respiratory problems may experience effects at levels lower than what can be smelled. There are ways of testing the air to learn how much formaldehyde is present. If you think that your home may have high levels of formaldehyde, contact your local health department for more information.

HOW CAN I REDUCE MY EXPOSURE TO FORMALDEHYDE?

A simple and effective way to reduce formaldehyde levels in the home is to increase air flow in the affected area by opening windows and doors. This lowers the level of formaldehyde by increasing the amount of outdoor air. Usually, the levels decrease and odors are gone within a few days.

(see: full text)

Here is A Part of an Article from the Tenn Manufactured Housing Association

PERCEPTION VS REALITY

Indoor Air Quality

PERCEPTION:

The relatively smaller living space in manufactured homes compared to site built homes sometimes leads to greater concentrations of indoor air contaminants, such as formaldehyde, that may pose human health problems.

REALITY:

Formaldehyde containing adhesives and binders are typically used in the manufacture of building products, such as plywood, oriented strand board, medium density fireboard and particle board, used in construction of homes--be they site built or manufactured. In addition, furnishings and carpet materials may contain formaldehyde. The off-gassing of formaldehyde from these materials decreases over time. For example, the "half-life" of releases from wood products has been reported to be two to three years; it is much less for other products.

In February, 1985, the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) established formaldehyde emission standards for plywood, and particleboard used in manufactured homes. The manufactured housing industry was required to place "Important Health Notices" in its homes, advising that proper ventilation was recommended in order to dilute indoor air contaminants. The site built housing industry has not followed this practice, even though significant levels of formaldehyde and other contaminants can be present in new site built homes. As a result of improved fire safety standards, by 1985 the manufactured housing industry had replaced wood based ceiling panels with gypsum board, which contains no formaldehyde.
For a number of years, the manufactured housing industry constructed its homes almost exclusively with urea-formaldehyde resin paneling and floor decking. In light of consumer and governmental concerns regarding exposure to formaldehyde off-gassing, the wood products industry modified its construction techniques during the past 15 years. Wood product manufacturers have continued to refine their techniques to the point that wood product off-gassing of formaldehyde has dropped significantly.

By 1991, the manufactured housing industry for the most part replaced urea-formaldehyde wall paneling with gypsum board. The vast majority of manufactured homes built today feature gypsum "dry wall" materials which do not pose a formaldehyde problem. In addition, a number of companies offer optional flooring materials, such as oriented strand board or plywood, which contain very, very low levels of formaldehyde off-gassing.

In 1994, HUD established improved whole house ventilation standards for manufactured homes, which require the manufacturer to install ventilation features that were optional for several years. With improved indoor air quality, two private sector consensus-standards writing committees have made recommendations to HUD to eliminate the "Important Health Notice."

(See Full Text)
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]

Iris0415

Post by Iris0415 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 pm

I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve introduced for your post. It's necessary to choose a good Formaldehyde Emission Climatic Test Chamber for formaldehyde measurement.