Insurance Problem

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Andrea

Insurance Problem

Post by Andrea » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:48 pm

I have insurance for my 1972 double-wide, but recently ran into an issue. Last year we purchased a corn stove/furnace and put it in our home. Insurance company had no problem at all with that - didn't even come take a look.

The corn stove ended up being too large for our home, (too much heat output - regular furnace wouldn't run which meant no heat to the water pipes). Anyway, we put the corn stove in our new garage. Found out recently that insurance will not allow this in the garage and we have to remove it. They said it is a "solid-fuel" heat source, which technically it is, but by the traditional definition it is not. A corn stove is not continuously opened, does not require a chimney, does not have a flame that is exposed to room air, and actually gets the intake air from OUTDOORS, not indoors. What can I do to educate my insurance provider so they will cover this in the garage? I feel that it is MUCH safer than an open-flame propane furnace or heat source!

Unfortunately switching providers is not an option due to the age of the home.

admin

Re: Insurance Problem

Post by admin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:39 am

Contact the builder of the stove for their assistance. They have probably been down this road before
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]