Dog bite (two!)

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Mac

Dog bite (two!)

Post by Mac » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:33 pm

Our friends were bitten by our dog on the hand; one is freaked out about it. I don't THINK they'll sue, but we decided to call our agent, so of course a claim was started. Both have medical insurance, so they are covered initially - What I am wondering is - will my liability insurance cover us if their medical insurance carriers come to us, and will our coverage be dropped? Any experience anyone has with this would be helpful. Thanks!

rmurray

Re: Dog bite (two!)

Post by rmurray » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:41 pm

This kind of question is probably more appropriate for your agent or company than here..

My guess is that you have medical payment coverage for damages to others on your property...This coverage is without fault and without deductible to you...As far as cancellation is concerned....it probably depends on the type of dog you have...Call your agent for better information....

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:37 am

I would guess it would depend on how long you've been with your company, what your additional claims history is like, payment history, etc and the rest of the risk as well as the kind of dog you have. Additionally it may depend on your particular companies financial soundness and combined loss ratio. (How much money they make for dollar they spend on general expenses and claims) If they're not financially sound they may try to cut losses and run.

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:46 pm

Thanks Mr. Murray... I do have those - not enough medical, but live and learn ... We were going to pay any medical out of pocket and not file a claim, but when we heard the words "husband is livid," well, it was time to contact our agent. It's a lab/boxer mix (overwhelmed by people). The lesson: Dog in bedroom when little ones/lots of people are over.
When you see state laws preventing insurance companies from TREATING A QUESTION ABOUT A CLAIM AS THOUGH IT WERE AN ACTUAL CLAIM, well, one gets a bit gunshy.
So if anyone else has been through this, I'd love to hear their story. Thanks, Mac

Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:30 pm

Update: Foremost declined to renew our policy, effective 12/1/06. So we'll be shopping around. Fortunately, Oregon has a risk pool; hopefully, if we end up there, it won't be horrendously expensive.

hoodm

Post by hoodm » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:30 pm

I was looking for insurance due to my current company no longer covering modular homes. I was denied by Foremost due to have 2 Chows. Neither have bite history but because they "might" I was told I could get rid of my dogs or shop elsewhere. I am currently looking for another company. Good luck Mac!

Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:12 pm

I found insurance through Allstate - lower-priced, too. The thing to remember when shopping for insurance is to SHOP it around. Foremost is not the only option by any means.