State Home Owners Insurance

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Michael Fasig

State Home Owners Insurance

Post by Michael Fasig » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:08 pm

My wife and I will be relocating to the West Central area of Florida in the Spring into an over 55 community, close to the Gulf. I keep reading about the difficulty of purchasing adaquate coverage at a realistic price. I'm under the impression so far that if we buy a MH not more than 10 years old insurance is available, but at at ball park cost of $3,000 per $100,000 in value per annum.

I've also heard about the Florida state pool that is available for MH owners who are unable to purchase home owners insurance. How does this work. Can you buy a policy from the state pool that will cover the cost of replacing your home and if so is the cost comparable to an independent insurance company. And is it advisable to purchase insurance from the state pool if it could be obtained from an insurance company.

Thank you for your input.

Desiree Vinocur

Re: State Home Owners Insurance

Post by Desiree Vinocur » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:58 pm

Hello, My name is Desiree Vinocur and I have been in the Insurance industry for the better part of 16 years. Currently, companies are non-renewing Mobile Home Insurance policies at staggering #'s. Which leaves no other alternative but to insure your Mobile Home with Citizens. And say what you want at least they are there, while others are leaving loyal policyholders left and right. Citizens is saying, we'll insure your Mobile Home, because the other companies left..Old or New..Yes, Older Mobile Homes are eligible. Of course any Mobile Home with damage is ineligible, But just because you have a Mobile Home built in the 60's or 70's doesnt mean there run down.Feel free to email me to recieve a quote for your mobile home.I will give this advice: While Mobile Home coverage is on a "stated value", please insure your personal property with "full replacement cost".

joni carney

Post by joni carney » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:07 pm

We are considering buying a new Palm Harbor home and putting it in a manufactured home community in Pasco County Fl. The home is 1800 sq' triple wide. We are very concerned about the availability, as well as the cost of covering the home. What can you tell us that might help. Could you possibly give us an rough estimate of cost? Thanks so much for your help.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:03 pm

Palm Harbor does offer coverage of its new homes in Florida....Rates there will be different than here in GA..Ask your sales rep about insurance prices on this home..Go for it..Good Luck..

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:25 am

The unusual storm seasons the past 2 years has changed a lot of things here in Florida and along the gulf coast. And these days the cost of everything is jumping up to new highs.

Citizens is a State of Florida mandated pool that was set up to cover MH owners that could not find any other coverage. As you have discovered, other than Citizens, there are not many, if any, other options available to us, or to the agents we depend on to hook us up with the best deals.

The agent who is writing the quotes for our website submitters is not happy about the price structure either. The company that he wrote manufactured home policies for many years abandoned him and the customers he had brought to them. At the moment Citizens is the only thing out there for many of us.

We saw this same problem after Andrew. Then, after a few years of no serious hurricanes the insurance companies returned and prices stabilized. Lets hope and pray this is the first in a long string of years that we avoid destructive storms.

I raised my deductible to soften the new pricing impact a little. My new premium, at an additional $200 per year really only amounts to only three dollars and change per week. While I would rather not give this extra money to insurance this seems to be a very reasonable alternative for me to the nightmare of not having insurance.

Find out if your insurance guy is treating you right. You have nothing to loose except those bigger payments. Even if your not ready to renew now is the time to see if you can get a better price. Get your FREE QUOTE right now....

bob matthews

Post by bob matthews » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:29 am

Aadvised by my company that my policy will not renew on May6th. Any suggestions? You mentioned something about citizen? Any info would be helpful.

bob matthews

Post by bob matthews » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:32 am

MY company is not renewing my insurance on May 6th. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheryl Neuman

Post by Cheryl Neuman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:50 pm

A mobile home is the only affordable housing for many families in Florida, I think it is a disgrace how people are being treated by the Insurance Industry! My parents are well into their 80's and have just purchased a older model mobile home to be closer to me, now we are having a terrible time finding insurance for them.
They have paid homeowners insurance for a good many years and have never had a claim, We need to do something for people like my parents!!!!! hasn't Florida suffered enough for the storms we had 2 years ago. This just adds insult to injury

Write your congressmen, Write our President!, we need to do something to help the people in Florida.....if the insurance companies are going broke, what did they do with all their money before the hurricane's?

Thanks for listening.

Norma Ritter

Post by Norma Ritter » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:37 am

I have also had my insurance company not renew my mobil home insurance even though I have had them since 1997 and have never filed a claim. Now I'm in the process of trying to find someone that will cover my mobil home with no luck except Citizens. Since my present insurance co will expire April 4th I recieved quotes from Citizens in Feburary 2006and at that time they would not insure me until March 2006 in which they quoted me $1.300.00 but as of yesterday it had gone up to $1.420.00 in one month for the year. Is this the only choice we have is with Citizens that seem to raise there prices every month?
Looking forward to your reply.
Norma Ritter

phil errichiello

Post by phil errichiello » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:24 am

We have a contract to purchase a new triple wide home in Ocala and are concerned now about insurance availability and costs. You may have more information that I could use to investigate this furhter. I have requested several quotes and waiting response. This is scary.

What info can you give me would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Phil & Teresa Errichiello