thinking of buying mobile home in Florida

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Don Schlack

thinking of buying mobile home in Florida

Post by Don Schlack » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:04 pm

We are planning to retire to Florida and purchase a mobile home, but with what I hear about insurance costs (both house and car) I'm having second thoughts. Can anyone give me a rough idea what the rates are like? We're looking at homes around $35,000. with lot rental or $65,000. with land option (co-op). The ara we are looking at is the central or west/central Florida. We hope that we won't need to change our plans.

Stephanie Lippincott

Re: thinking of buying mobile home in Florida

Post by Stephanie Lippincott » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:24 pm

I have lived in 2 mobile home parks in Orlando and would not recommend it. The lot rent goes up every year and some of them have what they call a pass-thru tax, that you have to pay every year. The HOA hired an atty and tried to fight the pass-thru and failed. It is the parks property taxes that you are paying for. We moved out 5 yrs ago and have heard that the park has changed hands several times. The rent is anywhere from 350.00 and up. At least it is where we came from. That is just for a lot. I feel sorry for the senior citizens that live in these parks and are on a fixed income. It seems once they get in they can't get out. We were very fortunate.

We now live in a mobile home subdivision and own our lot. Our insurance has been cancelled due to to the hurricanes last year and we had 2400.00 in damage. My agent could only find us insurance through the state. My dewlling coverage and personal property has been cut in half. It also has gone up 250.00. Needless to say I searching on my own for homeowners insurance. Good Luck to you!

Eileen McT

Re: thinking of buying mobile home in Florida

Post by Eileen McT » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:58 am

We bought a manufactured home in Savanna Club in Port St. Lucie. After contacting 24-26 insurance cmopanies and agents we finally got full insurance coverage with Triad in Jacksonville at exorbitant rates with unknown renewal possibilites at the end of the first year. I've heard that Citizens is considering upping their deductible along with their rates. It's a tough insurance situation and if this year is as active as last I think getting insurance is going to be anybody's guess. Good luck.

K

Insurance Rates

Post by K » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:00 pm

LOL company for 1.4 ac and a 1100 SqFt new MH $1700.00 per Year.
hey it sucks but Tampa Bay area is not cheap any more.

Susan L

Re: Insurance Rates

Post by Susan L » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:08 pm

I am searching for mobile home insurance in the Brooksville, Fla area. Seems like there are very few companies writing new policies. I have just been notified of
cancellation due to hurricanes.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:51 am

I had the same problem this year at renewal time. Insurance in Florida has been difficult for pre-Andrew homes during hurricane season. The companies that took our money for years, had to pay out after last years back to back to back storms and so have decided that they cant do business in our state anymore.

Don't Panic

The state has a pool for folks that are having our problem. You can get insured but if you don't want to wait till winter when the insurance companies get hungry again expect to pay a slightly higher premium Mine went up over $200. This was very upsetting at first but after some thought I realized that this was only about $3 a week more than last year. In a time when gas is at $3 for each gallon the added insurance cost hardly keep up with that rate of inflation.

Phone Steven Jones Insurance in Lakeland at (800) 853-7095. He has been a great help for me and our customers and park residents.

michael labadie

Post by michael labadie » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:09 am

hello, I am thinking of owning a tripple wide22000 cubic foot moble wide in lutz florida between barass ave and nebraska off 148 street and mobile villas area the moble home is anchored well and the owner has acompany called gulf stream insurance. Tell me more on how a person can aquire insurance now with floridas problems/. Thank you for your quick response on my behalf Yours sincerely michael labadie please inform me of different insurance companies..

Ric

Post by Ric » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:03 pm

Thanks for sharing your situation on line. My mother is in a very similiar situation. Her insurance company recently notified her that due to recent events (Hurricanes), the company made a policy decision to reduce coverage in Florida. She has been with the company for over 20 years and has only made one claim. That is, a claim of $3000 over the last 20 years.

They are not cancelling her insuracne. Rather, due to internal policy decions, they have elected to "not re-new" her policy that expires in January.

My Mom lives in Lakeland and iis a senior citizen. As such, I will be the one looking at other alternatives and options to solve this. Also, I live in a different state (California). Any suggestions that you may have would be most sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

Also, if deemed neccessary, feel free to contact me to discuss or provide more information, etc....

Ric
[email protected]
858-538-5602 (Home)
858-243-5768 (Cell)

Ric

Post by Ric » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:04 pm

Thanks for sharing your situation on line. My mother is in a very similiar situation. Her insurance company recently notified her that due to recent events (Hurricanes), the company made a policy decision to reduce coverage in Florida. She has been with the company for over 20 years and has only made one claim. That is, a claim of $3000 over the last 20 years.

They are not cancelling her insuracne. Rather, due to internal policy decions, they have elected to "not re-new" her policy that expires in January.

My Mom lives in Lakeland and iis a senior citizen. As such, I will be the one looking at other alternatives and options to solve this. Also, I live in a different state (California). Any suggestions that you may have would be most sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

Also, if deemed neccessary, feel free to contact me to discuss or provide more information, etc....

Ric
[email protected]
858-538-5602 (Home)
858-243-5768 (Cell)

rose

Post by rose » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:52 pm

About 1800.00 plus a year for the home and land!