Rebuild

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Barry

Rebuild

Post by Barry » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:31 am

My mobile home was hit very hard by hurricane Charley in Punta Gorda Florida.
The insurance company wrote it off and gave me a cheque for the limits of the policy. I was wondering if I am aloud to try and fix it up and resale even though they wrote it off as unrepairable or do I have to pay to have it demolished.
Thanks

Barry

Jim

Re: Rebuild

Post by Jim » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:31 pm

In writing off your home as a total loss and issuing you a check, the usual drill is that they bought your home and have title to it when you cash their check, which probably has language on the back that says by cashing the check you accept it as full settlement of the insurance claim. Before doing anything to the home, which might get you into legal hot water, check to who now has title to it.

rmurray

Re: Rebuild

Post by rmurray » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:05 am

You should contact your local building inspector...once totalled..building it back to standards acceptable to the local county is probably more costly than it is worth...It may not even be possible since it will now have to meet the newest wind zone requirements of the code...

..glad you are OK..