FL manufactured insurance compliance

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Anita Wittig

FL manufactured insurance compliance

Post by Anita Wittig » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:50 pm

Yesterday (approx 1 week after our last hurricane) our esteemed mobile home park managers and owner sent everyone in this community a letter stating thus, 'All tenants must carry insurance on their mobile home and contents. Colony Park M.H. Village must be included as "ADDITIONAL INSURED". Park will provide coverage for those that are not insured as which the cost will be added to your monthly lot rental fee according to the value of your home. Tenants that have their own insurance must provide an annual certificate of insurance naming Colony Park M.H. village as additional insured."' I was wondering of the legality of this move. Not only did Mr. Rogow (the park's owner)drop our sewage coverage (billing) he included the above missive. I do not understand how Mr. Rogow and co. could possibly lay any financial claim to my home since I own it free and clear. The only thing in as far as my home that concerns Mr. Rogow is that I rent a lot in the park from him. I was wondering if any one else has had this problem now with their mobile home parks? If so email me or write in the forum. I am very interested to trade ideas and information. Thank you.

rmurray

Re: FL manufactured insurance compliance

Post by rmurray » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:32 am

Sounds like you should be talking to your agent and your insurance commisioners office...

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:15 pm

Sounds like the park wants to make sure that any damaged homes get repaired, and the owners don't take the money and run, leaving them with a damaged home they cannot rent and must then pay to have removed.

Still, a chat with someone with more knowledge of the legalities of the request isn't a bad idea.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:06 am

Good point that I have not thought about...Makes a lot of sense for the park..

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:55 am

If what the park owner is doing is legal, there should be some provisions in the additional insured ammendment that prevents the park owner from taking the money and running. Getting in touch with your Insurance Commissioner's office is good advice. Line up the questions you want to ask them before you call.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:15 pm

Check your current policy.. Did you know that the mortgage company (since they are always listed as additional insured), can take any insurance payment you receive? They aren't required to fix your home, and can apply the insurance payment to your mortgage if they so choose. Granted, they usually fix the home, but they aren't legally required to do so!

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:41 am

You are all wrong. Under the AI provision all this does is give the land owner the rights to the liability section of your policy. A mortgage company is listed as a mortgee clause and they when a cliam is paid it is paid to you and them not them alone. Stop giving advise if you are not a licensed agent in the State of Florida. Practice of insurace without a license is a felony.