Missouri Insurance - does this sound reasonable?

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Denise

Missouri Insurance - does this sound reasonable?

Post by Denise » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:54 am

I received a quote on a 2000 Highland, 32 x 58, on 9 acres, about 5 miles from the volunteer fire district in SW Missouri from Progressive (our car coverage is with them) for $1153 yearly.

Now, when we owned houses in town (stick-built) in IL the insurance was more like $300-$400 yearly. Actually, one was a modular more in a township. Not even sure where the fire district was.

So does this sound outrageous? I know it will be higher but that is a lot! Coverage is for $75k with $500 deductible.

rmurray

Re: Missouri Insurance - does this sound reasonable?

Post by rmurray » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:27 am

Rates vary by zip code..so I am not familier with your exact area..but..

For 75K coverage the price sounds high..check with the insurance section on this web site and get a quote..they are free and this might save you lots of money..

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:09 am

Never hurts to shop around, and I've found progressive to be one of the most expensive insurance companies out there.

Call a local independant agent. If they are any good, they will know who's writing MH policies and who is doing so at the best rate. Just make sure it's a company that has the financial backing to pay your claim.

Denise

Post by Denise » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:25 pm

Thank you both. I will keep looking.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:52 pm

The premium depends partly on the rating of the Fire District you are living in. The higher the rating number, the higher the premium. The District is rated partly on the response time in the event of a fire, the equipment they own, the loss experience in their district, etc. The more proficient and better equipped the District, the lower the losses (theoritically, at least), and lower loss experience translates itself into lower premiums. If you are in a District that is rated 8 - 10 (10 being the highest, the last I was a P & C agent) you can expect higher premiums. Ask the Fire Department or the insurance agent regarding what the rating is for your area.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:52 pm

Depends on if they are vollunteer or paid as well. I'm near two firehouses, one paid, one not. If I were a half a mile closer (and hence in) the paid firehouse area, my premiums would be $200 LESS a year.