High MH Insurance premiums

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Jack

High MH Insurance premiums

Post by Jack » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:55 am

My wife and I just moved down to South-West Florida from Wisconsin a few weeks ago. We wanted to downsize both our home and our life so we purchased a nice 10 year old MH home. This double-wide home is located in a great, gated community that offers what we were looking for in our senior years.

What shocked us was the extremely high insurance premiums that are charged for a MH. We paid less then $400 a year for a home valued at over $188K in Wisconsin and are paying almost $1000 for a home costing under $65K in Florida. I know, Hurricane Andrew! I heard all about this excuse from every insurance argent I spoke with. Oh well!

Because our home was valued at $70K we were also only able to insure the personal contents up the that $70K amount. This means that we are grossly under insured for our personal property in the home. The insurance agent we dealt with told us he was unable to secure more personal property insurance because we can't buy insurance for more then the value of the house. This doesn't make sense to me so I was wondering what can be done.

Thank you.

Mark

Re: High MH Insurance premiums

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:02 pm

I'm suprised you were even able to get a 100% match on contents, it's usually only about 20%, Your

Catherine Smirniotis

Post by Catherine Smirniotis » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:31 am

Hi Mark

We are insterested in buying a investment property with 3 houses in sSan Diego, CA(one of houses is a manufactured house). The property is looks good and is in a good location. However, we are having problems getting good financing because of the manufactuered house. I am also concerned that the home insurance costs will be high. Is that the case with manufactured houses?

Thanks

Catherine Smirniotis

Post by Catherine Smirniotis » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:31 am

Hi Mark

We are insterested in buying a investment property with 3 houses in sSan Diego, CA(one of houses is a manufactured house). The property is looks good and is in a good location. However, we are having problems getting good financing because of the manufactuered house. I am also concerned that the home insurance costs will be high. Is that the case with manufactured houses?

Thanks