pets and insurance

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
nicole

pets and insurance

Post by nicole » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:29 am

I read a previous post with someone having difficulty with insurance due to horses...

does anyone have an insurance co that is reasonable that allows horses?

we have 7 rescued horses...
we currently have liability on them with event insurance to cover clinics and training seminars ect...
Nicole

rmurray

Re: pets and insurance

Post by rmurray » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:49 am

Did you know some insurance companies will not cover you if you have certian kinds of dogs...such as pit bulls, rottwilers even sheppards in some cases...
every company has different rules..

nicole

Post by nicole » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:45 am

I actually got turned down for having a goat!

killer goats??? is shirt nibbling that big of a liability? LOL!

please!

next they will be banning gerbils and goldfish.

still in search of something reasonable here that will recognize other coverage as a safety net possibly.

we do have a new 1 million dollar policy for horses/livestock going into effect....switching co..soon

but no idea how this will effect coverage on a new DW MH...
help or hinder?

Nicole

Jennie

Post by Jennie » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:35 pm

I am considering buying a mobile home and I raise and breed and rescue pitbull's and mixes. I have a kennel lisence and the property that I will be buying is 1 1/2 acres in the middle of no-where....can I even get homeowners insurance? I have never bought a home before so I dont know even where to begin. Help... Thanks

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:54 pm

Most companies have very strict guidelines when it comes to certain breeds of dogs and any kind of farm animal(s). This is due to the tremendous liability claims they face each year.

Our office represents an "A+" Rated, Admitted insurance company that does not discriminate against mobile home owners with pets or farm animals. If you are an animal lover and are having problems finding insurance, we can help you! We can offer a free quote to any mobile homeowner in the state of Florida. Please call us toll free at 1-800-542-2338 if you are having problems finding insurance for your mobile home.

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:06 pm

How did you get your kennel lisence. I am looking to get one and I dont know where to begin. I have four dogs as of now and I am looking to buy land and open up a doggy day care program. I am an RN (I know its a little far off from animal) and I just love animals. And I would love to open up a rescue group and dog day care center...Could you please point me in the right direction.

ralph digisco

Post by ralph digisco » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:38 pm

i have 2 rotties, a mother and son, the animals have the best temperment of any of my lifelong pets. i recently rented a home, outside newburgh, n.y. the landlord aware of the breed had no problem with the dogs or myself, 5 weeks later she tells me her liability provider is going to cancel her coverage unless i get rid of the dogs or i leave. this said, i contacted my auto ins. provider again because i was already waiting for a renters policy quote, and was informed that my dogs are classified as a dangerous breed and they cannot find me a provider. on my list of contacts were, the state attorny general, my local assemblywomans office and the local news paper. no one giving me any satisfaction on any issues. first let me add this dillema is only 6 days old, secondly what am i to do give up my pets,and lastly am i to assume no one with rottweillers has liability coverage. thank you i hope you can help! ralph

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:26 pm

You may be able to ask for an exclusion. They wouldn't cover damage done by pets if they were excluded.

robbie huantez

Post by robbie huantez » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:09 pm

its wrong too not give anyone insurance because they have a rottwiler they are good dog and who ever has one it lowers the risk of b&e hell no i would not so they are allso a good thing too have and if rotts are bad why do the state police have them??it is gust the owner i have 15tn rotts i breed the and they sell fast because people no they are good dogs to have &family dogs

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:38 am

As an insurance agent I can tell you that insurance companies discriminate. That's what underwriting is. For the same reason I won't write an auto policy for a nice person who's had two or more DUI's in the past 7 years I also wouldn't write a homeowners policy for someone who had a breed of dog that was predisposed to aggressive behavior.
The state is self insured, as are counties and municipalities. They only have dogs that are impeccably trained and tested to be safe. The average dog owner does not have the time, money or ability to raise a dog to the standards that would be held to a police dog. They would not use a dog that had not gone through rigorous testing and training.
There are certain standards that insurance underwriters use to determine the risk. All risks are weighed against the possible benefit for the company. If the chance for a payout is greater than the premium that could be charged in a fair market it is not a risk that could be offered.
Perhaps the other breeders are not as thorough with the owner selection as are you. There are people who get Rotties and other dogs to be mean. They are the folks that insurance agents have insured in the past who have had claims arise. They are the reason that it's nearly impossible to get a homeowners policy or excess liability policy if you have a breed of dog that is noted to have aggressive behavior.