Exorbitant Cost to Insure in Alabama

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Joy

Exorbitant Cost to Insure in Alabama

Post by Joy » Sat Dec 29, 2001 8:59 pm

We recently purchased a new 2,026 sq ft home. An unexpected surprise is that our insurance is nearly four times higher than the premium charged on a brick home of comparable size. We were told today that only Alabama and California charge these extremely high, inequitable rates. Why is this, and how do we get this changed in Alabama?

Thank you.

Kenneth J. Quist

Re: Exorbitant Cost to Insure in Alabama

Post by Kenneth J. Quist » Mon Dec 31, 2001 8:17 am

I cannot speak to the insurance rates for MH's as opposed to site built homes, but the MH rates are fairly high, but this is also based on your location. A few years ago, there was massive litigation brought against MH insurers in AL, and since then, rates have gone up and policies generally have to be purchased ala carte versus a package. As for California being high, I do not find that with the companies I write for. There are many other states where rates are as high as AL. If you go to mobilehome.com and look at the mobilehomeinsurancequote.com you may get some relief.