Abandoned mobile home with no VIN number

An important on-line resource for Community Owners and Managers. Participants enhance their professional abilities by sharing valuable insights, tips and on the job experiences.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Abandoned mobile home with no VIN number

Post by timberrr » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:55 pm

I am a property manager in a mobile home park in Washington state. I have an abandoned single wide mobile home that apparently has no VIN number. Part of the frame where the number is usually located appears to have been removed with a cutting torch at some point. Other places in the home where it might have been located also appear to have been covered or removed.
I have contacted the Department of Licensing, the King County assessor's office, state patrol, city planning office and others to no avail.
This is a Hail Mary pass in trying to find information or help to resolve the situation. It has been vacant for three months and unpaid rent is piling up.
I can't sell, remove, demolish or otherwise do anything with the home at this point. A Catch 22.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

David Oxhandler
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:37 am

Re: Abandoned mobile home with no VIN number

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Every state has some provision in law for homes that are abandoned in parks and yours is no exception

In Washington "the landlord of a mobile home park can take ownership of a mobile home under RCW 59.20.030 after (a) the mobile home or park model trailer has been abandoned as defined in RCW 59.20.030; or (b) a final judgment for restitution of the premises under RCW 59.18.410 has been executed in favor of the landlord..."

Follow this link for more details - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.20.030

You probably need to seek the advice of a competent lawyer to execute the procedure to obtain a final judgement in your favor especially with no serial number. Here in Florida the local property appraiser records the serial numbers for homes as they are permitted into parks. You might want to extend your search to the building permit office and the local DMV to see it the tenant had any mobile homes registered or titled in his name.

Once you can legally take ownership remember that taking over an abandoned home can be a double edged sword Be sure to ask about outstanding taxes becoming the responsibility of the landlord.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests