Busybody tenant

An important on-line resource for Community Owners and Managers. Participants enhance their professional abilities by sharing valuable insights, tips and on the job experiences.
oriole6

Busybody tenant

Post by oriole6 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 pm

I own a small park in another state and I have an in-park manager. There's a tenant in the park who persists in spreading rumors and this month the target is my manager. As a result, he says other tenants are turning against him and not taking him seriously. This long-term employee is thinking of moving out because he's so upset. I don't want to see him go.
I'm not sure what to do; does this fall under the "Tenant shall not interfere with the lawful and proper use and enjoyment of this park" clause in the Lease in such case I just not renew her lease when it's up?
What would you do?

David Oxhandler

Re: Busybody tenant

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Many communities have a grapevine and gossips that flap their lips just for the pleasure of hearing their own voices Most times the chatter is harmless and is recognized by the neighbors as entertaining babble.

While gossip happens everywhere when it turns malicious it becomes a serious problem.

If I knew for certain the gossip was not true I would visit the tenant, without the manage, and ask seriously, in the name of park security and the well being of the neighborhood, about the details... and then where/how she discovered this....

If you find there are no real answers then let her know that false defamation of your team members makes the park a less desirable place to live. This hurts you and every home owner in the park by lowering the value of everyones investment.

The one thing you can not do is ignore this. If you don't stand behind an honorable employee your customers could, with very little effort, run your business into the ground.

Every state has specific rules that set the standards for MH park landlord/tenant relations. Your States MH Association. is best equipped help you learn the available legal remedies.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]