MOBILE HOME PROBLEMS!!! please i need help.

An important on-line resource for Community Owners and Managers. Participants enhance their professional abilities by sharing valuable insights, tips and on the job experiences.
LeafMashes

MOBILE HOME PROBLEMS!!! please i need help.

Post by LeafMashes » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:18 am

Hello my name is Isaack and I live in Mountain View Mobile Home Park in Yucaipa California. I have been living here for almost 3 years now and i just started having problems... It all started when the last manager got fired for selling methamphetamine out of her office and charging tendants extra on rent and keeping the extra money. I sort of knew that she was charging extra because every month she would bring the bill she would always add $10-$100 extra per month but usually she added $30-$40 extra. I never said anything and always paid what she asked for because i didnt want any problems and just wanted to be left alone. When she was finally fired we got a new manager but now im having worse problems with this one. You see i started having problems with new tendants and she sided with them and now they both harrass me... this is what happen:

these new tendants moved in next door to me... and we use to get along just fine. They have only been here two months and i always tried to be respectful... evem helped them move in. But ever since he moved in he has been parking in my trailer house driverway, like litterally right infront of my house. There are no designated parking spaces here and only a couple trailers have drive ways to park cars in... mine does not. My neighbor has a parking spot where he parks his truck and trailer and instead of parking his other car of the side of the street infront of his trailer he parks it infront of my house. My family comes here often and they have to park way down the street when they come over because he refuses to park his car by his trailer. He claims that because i dont have a car i dont need to complain about him parking his car infront of my house.

Well i decided to go to the new manager and see if she could sort it out and she screamed and cursed and me and threw me out of her office. So i asked my sister in law who speaks better english to come and help me speak with her. But the same... She screamed and cursed us out of her office infront of everyone. Calling us stupid wetbacks who have no rights. (were legal). Now recently she came to my trailer and said i owed for 2 months were never paid for because she said the last manager pocketed the money after cashing the money order. I have all my receips and copys proving that i payed for every month i have lived here. But i payed her the dang money because i dont want any problems. Well last night when i got home from work she came by again and said that i owe her for another two months but i just cant keep doing this.

I was being over charged by the first manager... and if she stole the money i dont see how its my fault i have all my receipts showing i payed my rent. But now this new manager had me pay for two months that she claims never got payed for even though i have all the bills and receipts to prove i did... and now she wants me to pay for two more months?!

What if anything can i do? i will get a lawyer if i have to but i just need some advice. Thank you.

David Oxhandler

Re: MOBILE HOME PROBLEMS!!! please i need help.

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:06 am

It sounds like you need to take your problems directly to the park owner. Many park owners put a manager in place so they don't have to deal with the day to day operations. They often have no idea if the person they are depending on is treating residents fairly or taking advantage of them. Let him/her know what is going on. If you don't the abuse will not doubt continue?

You have 2 different problems. Resolve one at a time do not mingle the two. As the rent seems to be a more pressing issue I would get that settled first. You don't want the landlord to feel your not paying rent because you are generally discontent.

Hold onto your receipts. Make copies. Give one set of copies to the owners. If you can’t contact the owner directly send then the receipts and a letter explaining your rent problem. Be sure to send it certified mail and request a return receipt, so you have proof that it was received. Include your phone number and request a direct conversation with the owner. You always want to appear to be on the side of reason so when you present your case stay calm and cool.

Once the money issues are settled it will be allot easier to negotiate your parking space privilege.

Do NOT pay any extra fees or charges over your agreed rent. Ask for your overpayments back or ask for a credit against future rent. California has a strong set of landlord tenant rules. The California Mobilehome Residency Law requires a park to give residents a 90-day advance written notice of a rent increase. Special fees can not be sprung on you, month to month.

Read he California Mobilehome Residency Law English
Spanish
You can also contact:

Golden State Manufactured-Home Owners League
11021 Magnolia Street
Garden Grove, CA 92841
Toll-free Phone: 1-800-888-1727
Phone: (714) 826-4071

CALIF. MOBILEHOME OWNERS RESOURCES AND ACTION ASSOCIATION
(CMRAA)
Post Office Box 7468
San Jose, California - 95150
Phone: (408) 244-8134

Manufactured Home Owners Network
80 Huntington Street, Number 266
Huntington Beach California 92648-5343
(800) 724-6644 & (Phone ID: 714.536.3850)
(714) 536-3850

Good Luck !
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

LeafMashes

Post by LeafMashes » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Thank you for your post. I was at a loss as to what to do about my situation. I will definately make sure i keep all my paperwork and have copies of everything. The manager is asking me for all my paperwork, and i had taken her the copys first and now she said, "That won't work, I need the originals". So im kinda hesitant because I am worried that they might get "Lost".

Again, thank you.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:11 am

DON'T GIVE UP YOUR ORIGINALS. Sounds like the manager is abusing the power of the job and behaving less then honorable. Talk directly to the owner.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:33 am

I bought a used mobile home in a park in Georgia. I lived there for 3 years. My mother passed away and I have moved into her house. I am trying to sell my home in the park. I had a young couple that wanted to buy my home. I sent them to the office to do an application. The office sold them one of the mobile homes that were owned by the park. I don't think this is fair to me, because I have to send all potential buyers for my home to the office and then they in turn take my customer. I am stuck at this point, especially if this happens every time I have a buyer. Is there anything I can do about them taking my customer to buy my home?

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Next time don't send them to the park office ... take them there... and stick with them 'till they complete the application and meet the criteria to be residents.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]