electrical safty box

An important on-line resource for Community Owners and Managers. Participants enhance their professional abilities by sharing valuable insights, tips and on the job experiences.
Christal

electrical safty box

Post by Christal » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 am

Husband & I have a Fortune Manchester bought it new in June of 2006.
Our problem is everytime it raines the safty switch pops out and we have no electrio on certen lights outside & our freezer.
Recently we recived a letter and a regerstead letter from the Co, that makes these safty switches .They wanted us to test them by pushing the button in to see if it poped out .It does
Does any one have the same trouble ? I am scared of a fire
Thank you
christal

David Oxhandler

Re: electrical safty box

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:55 am

The switch you are talking about is called ..."A GFI, or ground fault circuit interrupter, is an automatic device that offers personal protection against electrical shock. They are installed in areas where known electrical shock hazards exist... outdoor outlets and fixtures, swimming pools, saunas and hot tubs, outlets in kitchens, basements, bathrooms, and garages. Wherever there is the potential for contact between a person and an electrical appliance in or near moisture, water, or water pipes, a GFI should be protecting the circuit... and you!

All GFIs, have two testing-related buttons on them. One button is appropriately labeled TEST, and one is labeled RESET. Turn on an appliance or light fixture connected to the GFI. Press the TEST button, and the appliance should immediately turn off. If it does not, either the GFI is miswired, there is a problem with other wiring in the same circuit, or the GFI has malfunctioned and should be replaced. Pressing the RESET button will restore power to the appliance or circuit.

Conversely, if you have a GFI that has tripped and will not reset, you may have a wiring short in the circuit, a defective appliance on the circuit, or the GFI itself has become defective.

The easiest way to troubleshoot a GFI is to obtain a GFI tester, available at most hardware stores. It plugs into the GFI outlet, and will supply you with a "snapshot" of your connections, indicating wiring problems and/or the condition of the GFI.

Over time, a GFI will become more sensitive to minor variations in current that are caused by certain types of appliances. Hair dryers and space heaters are notorious for stressing and tripping GFIs. Replacing the GFI will help solve this problem, though it may recur eventually as the new GFI ages."

LIFTED FROM The Natural handyman

The GFI in my house trips often after a heavy rain whn too much moisture gets into the lights on the corners of my porch.... when they dry out they start to work properly again. Check to see if any of your ouside fixtures or outlets are getting moisture.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]