developing new mobile home park

An important on-line resource for Community Owners and Managers. Participants enhance their professional abilities by sharing valuable insights, tips and on the job experiences.
K. Brooks

developing new mobile home park

Post by K. Brooks » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:17 pm

Does anyone have experience developing (design/build) mobile home park. I'm considering pads only. Any info available anywhere?

David Oxhandler

Re: developing new mobile home park

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:58 am

You might want to buy an older community that is in need of repair. Often you can save quite a bit over starting from scratch. Just getting the zoning accepted is quite a task in most area. But where do you start? What do you consider? To whom do you go to ask questions? What questions are important? What other resources do you have to consider?" Read Chrissy Jackson's article Buying A MHCommunity – What to Look For? A good place to start is the classic book now available in E-book format Upgrading Your Community - by Chrissy Jackson Another must read if your going to Buy and Improve an MH Community is How to Find, Buy, Manage & Sell a Manufactured Home Community by George Allen For details about Government backed loans for Community purchase and upgrade get Eddie Hicks popular bookHow To Get An FHA Guaranteed Loan For Acquisition and Rehabilitation or Development of a MH Community This title is now also available in E-Book format for Instant Download

To Jump to the MH Book Store's MHCommunity Manager's E-book Section Click Here

webmaster

Geraldine Ridens

Post by Geraldine Ridens » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:15 pm

I built my own Mobile Home Park, took me 2.5 years. I learned more in that time than I had in my entire life I believe. My goal was 50 pads and I ended up with 45 and a inground pool, the pool was a mistake. If I can answer any questions I would be happy to. My park is in East Tennessee. I started construction in 1990 and we opened on 4/1/92. Been some time back but a lesson I will not forget. I am current development subdivisions now.
Geraldine Ridens
Maple Ridge Place

russell

Re:renovating and repairing mh park

Post by russell » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:56 pm

i am a new mh park owner with dreams of cleaning it up and making it a nice respectfull place to live with while keaping the lot rent the lowest in area, so to make repairs would need grant assistance from gov. or private institution, can you help me find funding thank you.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:06 am

If your thinking about buying, selling or rehabbing a manufactured housing community we are here to help you find the funding you need. Even if you have told by others that "your community doesnt meet guidelines" give us an opportunity to serve you. Our associate's programs includes flexibility in both community size, age and borrower's credit. They are not afraid of properties with deferred maintenance or communities with pre-code homes.

Would you like more information? CLICK HERE

Carol

Post by Carol » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:05 am

Just pads is the way to go. Less money, but probably evens out as fixing up and getting rid of trashed mobile homes is very expensive. Hopefully you can get city water and sewer as wells, septic sytems, etc. are expensive and complicated by many regulations (at least in Minnesota). Lots to take doublewides are good, unless park is just for snowbirds. Our small park was in horrible condition when we bought it. We cleaned it up and repaired lots, street, etc. We have acreage for expansion up to 60, but didn't as park served our purposes as it was, being close to retirement at the time. Also, in our state, parks over 50 lots have to have a manager on the premises at all times. We are retired now and the park up is for sale. Be sure to check all your state regulations and statutesl. Once established, I can't think of any business that has less work and overhead for the income. Very strict rules are a must, even for small parks.

David Roden

Post by David Roden » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:00 pm

Would be glad to help if I can.

Built my park in 1988, has 110 spaces. During and after building I learned lots.

If your building from scratch, don't forget about rocks and blasting. Sewers and city water are a plus if you can, no septic tanks and lines.

Put in meters from the start also on each home.

I did not want a pool, and glad I didn't.

Make your turns wide and obstacle free as possible for moving in and out homes.

We are in the Chattanooga area if I can help.

Trish

Post by Trish » Mon May 15, 2006 10:20 pm

How much did it cost to get started?

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:59 am

I have worked as a project consultant on 7 new developments in the Washington state area. Yes, I do have the experience in this. The last developers mistake was not having an experience staff member. The development set idel for almost two years. In one year I turned over half of the lots.
Marlene