Bad neighbors who rent

An important on-line resource for Community Owners and Managers. Participants enhance their professional abilities by sharing valuable insights, tips and on the job experiences.
Tina Barcelona

Bad neighbors who rent

Post by Tina Barcelona » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:15 pm

We are at wits end. About a year and a half ago our next door neighbor moved out. He then moved his son who is in his 40's and his family into the house. Since that time their house has been raided by state agents. They have had their third litter of inbred pitbulls. They have groups of teenagers hanging out wearing gang colors. They are constantly blasting their music, cursing etc. I am married with three children; 2, 7 and 10. My family and I have all been threatened by these people on several instances. Their dogs are vicious and have been deemed potentially dangerous. We have contacted the police, animal control and finally took them to court and got a restraining order on the entire family. I have gotten letters from several neighbors who are also very concerned about this situation. These people who rent the house say they own it. However, county records show that the father is the owner. Can we legally involve the owner of the house and ask him to evict these horrible renters? I want to move, but I found out that I would have to disclose all of this to the potential home buyer. Who in their right mind would want to move in next door to that house. Unless we take a huge loss on our home when we sell. We can't afford that.

David Oxhandler

Re: Bad neighbors who rent

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:32 am

Tina -

Do you live in a MH Community where the home owners lease the land? or are you on a private owned lot?

D. Thompson

Re: Bad neighbors who rent

Post by D. Thompson » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:30 pm

Dear "At wits end!"
One very piece of practical advice- try not to let your patience be at the cost of your level of good, practical judgement. I understand your frustration and I personally have pondered the question "what gives some people the right to live a reckless life over another's to live a safe and secure life?!"

About six years ago, my young son (5 1/2 yrs.) and I moved into a mobile home park and my first home purchase. I am a single mother and very concerned about the safety of the park for my son .... and not to mention ALL young children at the park. Two doors down lived a very promiscuos women that had ongoing loud, screaming and abusively foul fights throughout the late evenings, with an equal number of housecalls by the local police. This escalated into drug selling, eventually into heroine and all this time I was trying to maintain a sane and safe living environment for my son and I. I was a wreck. The park managers were aware of the problems surrounding this home, but said their hands were tied without a petition of complaints personally SIGNED by each and every resident. Well, that wasn't going to happen...these people were on drugs, had knives and had threatened anyone who got too close. Even the police said they needed hard evidence to search and convict, but that I could call anytime I felt they were being too loud or threatening; speak about a waste of tax payer's money!!

Well, finally four years later, the park owner went to court to have them evicted, the house was demolished and now a new home and new family is in it's place. I still refer back to my ponder- why DOES the right of some to live a reckless life seem to have precedence over the right of others to live a safe and secure life?

I wish you the power of persistence and the power of good judgement... and all will prevail!

D. Thompson

Cindy

Re: Bad neighbors who rent and have dogs

Post by Cindy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:17 pm

It is unfortunate that people such as these ruin it for everyone else.

I am currently looking for a Manufactured Home and am finding it impossible to buy because I have a dog. A dog who is certified through the AKC as a Canine Companion and Therapy Dogs International. I take her into Hopsitals, Assisted Living and Rehab facilities. She is better behavied then ALOT of people's children but yet I cannot find housing!

It is a crazy world sometimes!