illegally charging residents a business rate on sewage!

An important on-line resource for Community Owners and Managers. Participants enhance their professional abilities by sharing valuable insights, tips and on the job experiences.
Cheryl Lipay

Re: illegally charging residents a business rate on sewage!

Post by Cheryl Lipay » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:36 pm

I do not care if the owners of this mobile home park have a right to "recoup" monies for being charged a business rate on their sewage. Based upon what the attorney told me "they are charged a business rate BECAUSE THEY SECURE MONIES FOR THEIR BUSINESS - NAMELY LOT RENTAL RATES FROM TENANTS. My sewage bill is more than my water bill and I DO NOT secure monies from being a resident. I do not own or operate a business from my residence.

I DID NOT SAY THAT SUBMETERING IS ILLEGAL). I SAID THAT I WAS BEING CHARGED A RESIDENTAL RATE ON MY WATER BILL AND A BUSINESS RATE ON MY SEWAGE. THIS IS ILLEGAL. I TRIED TO CALL THE UTILITY COMPANY BUT WAS TOLD THAT THE OWNERS DID HAVE A CONTRACT WITH THEM AND WOULD NOT GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION (PRIVACY ACT).

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT IT IS ILLEGAL. I HAVE LEARNED FROM SUBMITTING THIS ISSUE IN THIS DISCUSSION FORUM THAT I WILL MOST DEFINITELY HAVE MY OWN LAND IN 4 1/2 YEARS.

This park has been existence for OVER 30 years and they have NEVER replaced any water line - only repaired them! All I have constantly heard is how expensive repairs are and that they cannot afford to replace the lines. I will never believe that anyone who owns a park is poor. If it has been so difficult I would like to know why the park that I am in has been in existence for over 30 years. Additionally I recently send the owners of the park a letter asking:

a. when the one and only pole light in the park was going to be replaced. This light has been out FOR OVER A YEAR.

b. why in the five years that I have been a resident, they cannot spell my name correctly but ALWAYS took my lot rental check!

c. the owners additionaly now (after five years) want each tenant to give them copies of taxes paid (city, county, and school). I again asked my attorney who said that this was illegal. I do not (AND WILL NOT) give this information out.

In my opinion, there was sufficient time to install individual water lines for each tenant so that the tenants would have separate water/sewage bills from the Water Company and not receiving bills from the owners of the park.

I was warned not to move into an existing mobile home park from someone who did (and was given good advice that I did not follow) and told me horror stories about how the park was not maintained and the only thing that did change was the lot rent, year after year. (This is what I have been experiencing for the full length of time I have been in this park).

Owners of parks NEED TO REALIZE that WITHOUT TENANTS, there would not be parks!

chrissy

Post by chrissy » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:45 pm

While I am sympathetic to your situation, please realize that not all existing utility companies will add customers. And, if a community owner wants to submeter, not all utility companies will accept those residents as direct customers. Often the choice is not the landlord's to make.

Cheryl Lipay

Post by Cheryl Lipay » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:12 pm

I disagree. The landlords DID have a choice. They had 30 years to replace water lines for each tenant. Hence, there would not be a need for submetering.

When I move into this park I was told that it "was going through a transition". I was lied to by the dealer who sold me my home. The dealer secured a park space for me in this park. I am still waiting! I do know of other parks in the surrounding communities that have replaced water lines and tenants receive a bill directly from the water company. I found out this information when my problem began.

As I stated earlier, moving into an existing park was the biggest mistake of my life. Not only am I paying for lot rental, but also pay separately for garbage service and now water and sewage. (I have always paid for my own electricity). When I sent a letter asking what specifically the lot rental includes, I NEVER received an answer and the letter was sent certified. The owners of this park do not and never will appreciate good tenants. This is a small park (30-35 homes). The one and only road into the park also needs repaired. I know that this will never occur. A tenant has a right to ask questions and to expect answers from their landlord.

After this experience, I would not (and Thank God I will not be "stuck" in this park) move into another park. I can't wait until I have my own land.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:48 pm

Cheryl,
First off the business rate for the sewage has got to be cheaper then the residential rate. Every business receives a better rate then residential. Second, the new meter co. that does the reading knows full well that they cannot charge more for the sewage and water then what the park is paying. It is illegal to make money on this. The co. would not risk losing everything just to charge you a little more for the water and sewer. Third, what does installing new water lines have to do with your new meter? Nothing. Every park, the resident is responsible for the water from the ground to the house. Puting in new water lines in the ground should make no differance to you. Fourth, most cities will not put in and read meters on each lot. As a matter of fact, yoiu should consider yourself lucky. The park is master metered and because of this they receive a much better rate then if the home was billed by the city. because of this you are not being charged like a person in town would, you are getting a better rate.

Finally, keep this mind. No park owner or manger wants to be bitched at all the time. From what I can tell you probally make life miserable on them. Im not saying that your complaints are unfounded. Its just that I deal with people like you and after while you realize that no matter what, some people just cannot be pleased. Because of this, the park manager/owner just tend to ignore you after a while. I get this impression from you because you said you insisted on being there when the work was done, certified letters, etc...

Also, everyone thinks park owners are rich and rolling in the cash. That is not always true. We work hard, put up with a lot of crap, and have invested tons of money into our parks. When people like you see us driving a new car or living in a nice house you think it must be nice and boy are we pulling one over on the residnets. The fact is I earn my money, Ive invested money into my park. I give people a nice place to live at a reasonable cost.

You do not sound like a happy person and probally never will be pleased. I hope the park owner cannot wait until you can move in 41/2 years.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:45 am

You must live in a very business friendly state...I cannot speak for PA...but in GA..where I live..small business pays 3 or 4 times the amount of residential rates on water..sewer..electric..phones...gas...Very large businesses do get substantial discounts...but the small guy suffers..

Cheryl Lipay

Post by Cheryl Lipay » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:02 am

WHY WAS THE MESSAGE THAT I SPECIFICALLY LEFT FOR "STEVE" DELETED? IS THIS NOT A "DISCUSSION FORUM"? DOES ONE HAVE TO ACCEPT INSULTS FROM A COMPLETE STRANGER?

WHY IS IT THAT PEOPLE CANNOT ACCEPT DIRECT, HONEST COMMUNICATION (IN OTHER WORDS, TELLING THE TRUTH)?

I

yikes

Post by yikes » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:24 am

Yikes,

Cheryl - you win - now leave. People like you are enough to make someone sell their park.

Is life not short? I can tell you it is. Have a glass of wine and be glad you're breathing. Go listen to the birds or something - I am exhausted by this post as other are.

yikes

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:16 pm

Cheryl, it sounds like to me you are a very unhappy person, Maybe you need to slow down and think about what your community does provide for you, a safe place to live, residents close by who may help you if got sick, fell down or could not get to the store or doctor, the owner of this community may be the one you may need to depend on some time in the next 4 years. Think about that. But he may tell you to call your lawer to see if he will help you to the store or the doctor.
What i am trying to say is i do not think the owner of this community is trying to get rich off of you by billing you water & sewer it could very well be that he or her was misinformed about the charges. Be happy

Cheryl Lipay

Post by Cheryl Lipay » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:13 pm

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT ANY INTELLIGENT INDIVIDUAL WOULD PAY AN ILLEGAL BILL?????????? NOW I KNOW WHY THOUSANDS OF INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE MADE THE CHOICE TO PURCHASE THEIR OWN LAND AND NOT HAVING TO DEAL WITH LANDLORDS WHO ARE BECOMING RICH OFF OF INDIVIDUALS. I HAVE A LANDLORD WHO IS ADDITIONALLY TRYING TO CHARGE ME A "LATE FEE" OF $25.00 PER MONTH. NOW TELL ME THAT THIS LANDLORD IS NOT TRYING TO SECURE MORE MONEY OUT OF ME. I HAVE A LANDLORD WHO THINKS SHE IS "MARTHA STEWART" BUT FORGETS THAT WITHOUT TENNANTS, THERE WOULD BE NO PARK! I AM AMAZED AT HOW NASTY PEOPLE HAVE BECOME TOWARDS ONE ANOTHER SINCE SEPTEMBER 11TH. MONEY SEEMS TO HAVE BECOME THE GOD IN THIS WORLD.

KEEP THROWING THE INSULTS - I AM QUITE CAPABLE OF DEFENDING MYSELF. I ALSO KNOW HOW TO SPELL!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE: I AM SUING MY LANDLORD AND ACCORDING TO MY ATTORNEY, I AM STILL LEGALLY RIGHT AND WILL WIN.

ONCE AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND. IT IS ILLEGAL TO CHARGE A RESIDENT A RESIDENTIAL WATER RATE AND A BUSINESS SEWAGE RATE. MY SEWAGE BILL IS AT LEAST ONE AND A HALF TIMES GREATER THAN MY WATER BILL!

Cheryl Lipay

Post by Cheryl Lipay » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:45 pm

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR BRENDA:

BRENDA,

I CURRENT WORK IN ONE OF THE BEST UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS IN THE CITY OF PITTSBURGH AND WORK IN A DEPARTMENT OF 80 EMPLOYEES.

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THAT THE LAST INDIVIDUAL ON THIS EARTH THAT I WOULD TURN TO IF I BECAME SICK WOULD BE MY "NOT SO HONEST" LANDLORD.

THE MAJORITY OF TENANTS IN THIS PARK ARE ELDERLY (AND AFRAID TO SAY ANYTHING - I AM NOT - I WILL NOT HAVE ANYONE TRY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME - I HAVE TOO MUCH RESPECT FOR MYSELF AND WILL MOST DEFINITELY DEFEND MYSELF). THE LANDLORD HAS MADE IT KNOW THAT SHE IS ONLY CONCERNED ABOUT MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

IN THE FIVE YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN IN THIS PARK, THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANY IMPROVEMENTS - MAJOR OR EVEN MINOR - I HAD TO COMPLAIN THAT THE ONE AND ONLY OVERHEAD LIGHT IN THE PARK NEEDED TO BE REPLACED - IT TOOK A YEAR!!!!!

A OWNER OF A PARK DOES NOT PLACE A SIGN IN THE OFFICE (WITHOUT ANY WARNING) THAT THE OFFICE IS CLOSED INDEFINITELY. THIS ALL BEGAN WHEN TENANTS HAD ISSUES CONCERNING THE WATER/SEWAGE BILLS. IT TELLS ME THAT SHE DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR WHAT HER TENANTS HAVE TO SAY, THAT SHE ONLY WANTS TO CONTROL AND DICTATE - WHETHER IT IS LEGALLY RIGHT OR WRONG.

ALSO, PLEASE LEARN TO SPELL.

EVERYONE, HAVE A WONDERFUL LIFE!

I KNOW I WILL BECAUSE I LOVE DEFENDING MYSELF AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WHO DO NOT HAVE ALL THE FACTS BUT FEEL THAT THEY KNOW EVERYTHING. AN INTELLIGENT INDIVIDUAL NEVER OPENS THEIR MOUTH WITHOUT SECURING ALL THE INFORMATION. I LEARNED THIS A LONG TIME AGO.