package to offer a resident manager

An important on-line resource for Community Owners and Managers. Participants enhance their professional abilities by sharing valuable insights, tips and on the job experiences.
David

package to offer a resident manager

Post by David » Sun Feb 11, 2001 1:57 pm

Dear Chrissy,

I am new in this buisness and I am developing a 150 unite Mobile home park with a club house and storage unites on site.

Do I need a resident manger?
What kind of package do I have to offer. Is there an industry norm?
Is there a particular book or package of doccuments you thik would be invaluble for me to have?
What else should I ask?

Looking forward to hearing from you
DSN

Chrissy

RE: package to offer a resident manager

Post by Chrissy » Mon Feb 12, 2001 8:05 pm

Generally, about the time you get 50 or so residents, you will need a full time manager. Up until that time, someone needs to answer the phone from ads you place, visit retailers in your area to help spread the word, take applications from prospective residents, verify their references, prepare the paperwork, and move them in. That is a VERY simplified overview of duties.

There is no industry norm for reimbursement for managers. Sometimes they are provided with housing, sometimes with full or partial utilities paid, sometimes with bonuses for net fill, sometimes with commissions for selling homes, and sometimes a combination of all of the above.

Look in your area for the wages normally paid a mid-level management person, take into account all the value of the benefits you offer, and try to find the person you want for the money you want to pay. Sometimes you can find someone who is retired with an income who will work for less than you think just to keep busy. Sometimes you need to pay more than you want to just to get a good person.

However, make no mistake, the wrong manager who saves you a couple of dollars on payroll can ruin your community and your business reputation. It is not worth it! For more insights on management, visit my website, and look at some of the articles on line at www.chrissy-jackson.com