Trees

An important on-line resource for Community Owners and Managers. Participants enhance their professional abilities by sharing valuable insights, tips and on the job experiences.
TLC

Trees

Post by TLC » Thu Sep 06, 2001 3:22 pm

I manage a manufactured community and have a question regarding trees. Currently, we remove all dead trees and limbs throughout the community. Now the residents are asking to trim the limbs off their roofs, sheds, driveways etc. I feel that this type of pruning should be the resident's responsibility. What is your opinion?

Chrissy Jackson

RE: Trees

Post by Chrissy Jackson » Thu Sep 06, 2001 7:30 pm

Well, several states have legislation in place assigning the responsibility of tree pruning and care to either the community owner (in most cases) or to the resident. Some lease agreements specifically assign this responsibility to the resident. The community owner does this usually to help cut costs. However, too many times, I have seen a resident (if they are permitted to do so) cut down a perfectly good, healthy tree. The reason given is "it drips sap all over my car" or "it always makes a mess in my driveway" and other similar statements. For the beauty of the community, my recommendation is for the community owner to take responsibility for this part of the operation. No one wants a lopsided tree, but a resident who has branches scraping the roof of his home may not care for the aesthetic quality. He may just cut off the offending growth, and leave the rest.