contractor messed up!!!!help

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
julia

contractor messed up!!!!help

Post by julia » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:07 pm

Hi, maybe this site can help me. I was putting a new modular on land that i own. The modular was delivered without permits, the contractor that was suppose to get the lot ready also failded to get permits. I am 5 months into getting this home built, then I find out from my local county to due the wells and septics around me, i cannot put a septic system on my propery. The contractor was suppose to do a soil test in the beginng but waited 5 months and had the home illegaly delivered, then i find this out. they have taken 40,000 out of my costruction loan with nothing to show for any work. The modular is still sitting on my property on its wheels in 2 parts, this is financial ruin for me. Also the property was devauled because they tore preexisting stutures that would have been left up had we known our lot was demed"non bulidable". Please help I am in northren california....julia

rmurray

Re: contractor messed up!!!!help

Post by rmurray » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:13 am

CA has a large government...What has the builder said about the situation???I would suggest complaints to the license authority in your state...plus you should get and attorney skilled in this field ASAP.....I cannot even believe that the construction loan company would close a loan without proper permits....

Janet

Post by Janet » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:44 pm

Most Construction loan companies don't know much about permitting, they HOPE the contractor does. It doesn't matter the state, there will always be contractors who cut corners, and take short cuts. Sometimes this costs the homeowner, but we all take the risk on the off chance that it will save us thousands in the long run.

In Texas we use a septic system referred to generically as an "aerobic" system, often sold under different brand names. We have used it on occasion, when either the "perc" test or the land distance constraints preclude us from using a traditional tank system. I have no idea about the environmental, county, or state requirements of California. I hope you or your contractor have this as an option. They are more expensive, but it could keep your house of cards from totally collapsing.

Good Luck

Janyne

Post by Janyne » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Julie,
The only solution would be to locate a new piece of property (and make sure it can have water/sewer on it) and re-locate the home to the new property...if you own the existing property possibly you can sell it to some one? Good luck

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:05 pm

First; Get an attorney
second; Follow the money... Whoever got paid is responsible. I'm guessing, but the dealer probably was fraudulent in having $40,000 released to him. Banks don't like to release the cash until the work is completed. If the dealer only got 40,000, he's probably in trouble. He has 10 days to set the home and have it paid for before he is "out of trust" with his floorplan source. Probably not enough.He still had to pay the contractors for what they have done. HIS problem, not yours.
There are a lot of variables to your problem. Maybe find a sympathetic dealer who will help you. Re-read your purchase agreement with the dealer and remember, the lender is on your side. It is their loss if you renig on the loan.