Hurricane homes

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
David Leslie

Hurricane homes

Post by David Leslie » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:13 am

Hi,
I am from the England. I wanted to know if mobile homes are being used for accommodating people affected by Hurricane Katrina? If so are there enough? In England roght now it is the time of year when people sell their mobile homes. Maybe there is an opportunity to supply them to affected people if the demand cannot be met locally. Can anyone give me there thoughts.
Regards
David Leslie

Mac

Re: Hurricane homes

Post by Mac » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:01 pm

First question would be economics of teardown, sealing, and transport. Next - would the units meet US Housing& Urban Development (HUD) specs, or could you get a waiver of some sort?
Personally, I don't think it would pencil out.

Donna Garvey

Re: Hurricane homes

Post by Donna Garvey » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi,
I am a sales consultant for Palm Harbor Homes in Washington State. I can tell you that one of our factories in Texas is putting out homes for the hurricane victims. So far we have delivered over 100 and have been contracted by FEMA to deliver 400 more. The manufactured home builders are stepping up to the plate to help these displaced people.
Palm Harbor has made a big deal about how our homes have survived past big hurricanes, and we did survive them. Now at least some of these people will have a roof over their heads that can take the beating that one of these storms puts out. Of course, nothing can take all of the flooding, poor New Orleans, what a huge mess for all of us. So much history distroyed, and that can never be replaced, just like all of the people who passed away from the storm and aftermath.
I guess all we can do is our best for those who made it through.