Selling a used MH, HELP PLEASE!

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
Keri

Selling a used MH, HELP PLEASE!

Post by Keri » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:44 am

Hi all! I am new to this forum and am in need of dire help. I have a 1984 Siesta Key Skyline MH that I am needing to sell. We are planning on building a house on the land that this MH is on. We are needing to sell this MH before we can start building. I am having a hard time trying to find the value of this home. Now, it could use some improvements but is definetly liveable with some TLC needed. It is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, kitchen and living area. It is a single wide without the underskirting. It will come with a dishwash and stove, just not sure about the refrig. or washer/dryer. Has a brand new air conditioning and new master bath Garden tub. Now, the things that are wrong with this mobile home is the kitchen floor has bowed up a little bit, we are guessing from the heat or maybe leveling it. The wall in the master bedroom is unpainted. We had to change the wall out because the bathtub leaked and we had no other way to get the bathtub out but to take the wall out and put a new wall in. The master bath closet shelves are falling down, but with some new wood and nails, can easily be fixed. The carpets need to be cleaned and a few of the rooms could use a little touch up paint. The outside of the mh has in great condition. The roof has been sealed and the back windows of the house have been tinted.

My questions are:
1. Should we fix all these things before we sell it? Or could at least get about $1,000 for the way it is now?
2. We are needing someone to haul it off the lot. Who pays for that and the title transferring?
3. About how much should I begin asking for this piece?

I hope someone can help me, as I have led off to you all...I am clueless to used MH sales!

In dire need in Louisiana,
Keri

Abel B Ramirez II

Re: Selling a used MH, HELP PLEASE!

Post by Abel B Ramirez II » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:34 pm

Keri,

Don't fix a thing. If you are not looking to make several thousand dollars off of this home then offer it for sale to be moved for $4,000 OBO and see what happens. Also you may be able to get more for it if you will take payments on the home and get like $500 down. tell the new buyer they can wait 30-60 days before making the first payment so they can pay for the moving and hook up costs easier.

Hope that helps.

Abel B. Ramirez II

Keri

Post by Keri » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:55 pm

WOW, really? You think I would get that much for it? I was thinking about $500.00 because of its age. As said, it is good condition considering but for some reason I was thinking not many people would pay alot for it because it is so old. I guess I am scared to ask to little and get robbed basically but I am scared to ask too much and not sell it!!

Hubby says someone who rents MHs out will probably buy it and haul it off the lot and turn around, fix the things wrong and rent it out!

I am so confused about what to do and how to go about it!
Thanks for the advice!
Keri

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:39 am

If 20 years old is all wore out..some of us are in real trouble..

Keri

Post by Keri » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:29 am

LOL, I didn't mean it like that. As said, I new to all this because this was a first house and this will be our first house sell! I was just trying to get some help on this subject and didn't mean to offend anyone! LOL, sorry!

Keri

Abel B Ramirez II

Post by Abel B Ramirez II » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:29 am

Hope you have already sold your MH at this point, but just peeked in to see a reply to my original post.

$4,000 is a bit much yes, but with the fact that you would be able to take payments changes everything. Someone might haggle with you and you might get even $1,000 with $500 up front and they pay to move it. At that point you get what you want up front and you will make twice as much if they make good on the remaining $500... if not.... then you have a decent MH sitting in a park and you can sell it again and prolly get more since it is already moved! :)

Abel B Ramirez II

Lorcan O'Roidecain

Post by Lorcan O'Roidecain » Thu May 19, 2005 8:57 am

You might contact your local volunteer fire department and have them consider it for a "burner" to be used to train their volunteers. You should be able to get a pretty good tax reduction for your donation. Ask if they will haul it away as well.You might make out better in the long run rather than trying to sell a home that is in need of so many repairs.

Janyne

Post by Janyne » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:13 pm

Keri,

I am in the state of Indiana, but I would think you would be able to receive at least $1,000 up to $4,000 on the home. The buyer would be responsible for tranporting the home off of your property. Seller must have it ready to hook on to and haul. I would not advise putting more money into it....