Buying MH wiht a bill of sale

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
Abel B Ramirez II

Buying MH wiht a bill of sale

Post by Abel B Ramirez II » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:58 pm

Ok for those of you who may know....

I need help figuring out how to complete a MH deal when the owner has only a bill of sale and I intend on reselling the home with owner financing once I purchase it. Can I just sign a purchase agreement to buy and then sign a sales agreement to sell?

A more experienced person dealing in the sale of used mobile homes mentioned something briefly about him always selling using a bill of sale for business purposes so that he is not considered a retailerby licensing standards.

Here in Texas they don't have titles on MHs anymore they have an S.O.L.
http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/mh

This makes me think that by selling using a bill of sale is a way someone can pass along ownership of the MH without ever recording their name as an owner. Kinda like when I remember buying old cars where the previous owner had given the current owner a title with his signature to release it and then he would never get it switched. Then I would sign it after buying it and that guy would never be known as an owner of the vehicle.

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
Abel B. Ramirez II
Dallas, Texas
214-529-5626

David Oxhandler

Re: Buying MH wiht a bill of sale

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:44 pm

You can always play games with the paperwork, but unless your leaving town before sunrise, you leave yourself open to more problems that you will avoid. It pays to conduct your business correctly. Contact your states MH Association to find the correct and legal methods for transferring ownership in your state.

Texas Manufactured Housing Association
816 Congress Ave., Suite 940
Austin, Texas 78701
Ph 512-459-1221
FX 512-459-1511
Web Site: www.texasmha.com

Abel B Ramirez II

Post by Abel B Ramirez II » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:25 pm

Hmmm.... I know where you are coming from, however when a reputable MH sales professional is selling with bills of sale and not by transferring of title, it makes me think he knows something about it. I want to learn more, but didn't have time to ask him.

Also I did post my state's website that governs over how licensing and titles are managed. The Home association website you posted doesn't do that. They just promote the manufactured housing industry. Unless that is your contact info... I thought you were giving me a new resource for information, that site didn't say much at all for someone in my position.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:04 pm

What is your positiuon ?

Abel B Ramirez II

Post by Abel B Ramirez II » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:10 pm

I am an individual investor wanting to purchase MHs for resale with owner financing. I can understand if I end up getting a license to do so, that is fine and the site that I have already found gives em that information.

I posted here because if the MH dealer/park owner had done this bill of sale thing that perhaps someone else may know of the procedure whether it be right or wrong. I want to purchase this home, however I wnat to know what steps to take to making it a smooth transaction from the seller to me to the new buyer.

Abel B Ramirez II

Re: Buying MH with a bill of sale

Post by Abel B Ramirez II » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:29 am

After re-reading some FAQs on the Texas Dept. of Housing website I was able to understand what they were talking about in the following text. Evidentally Texas did not track titles to MHs if they were for business use. Therefore that would be the case of the MH dealer I spoke with. He would not be able to do that anymore with the new changes. Thought I would post the info up for anyone else needing info regarding Texas MHs.

What is the difference between an SOL and a title?
Before Senate Bill 521 (SB 521) took effect in June 2003, manufactured home ownership was evidenced by a Certificate of Title. When the ownership of a home changed, an application for title transfer had to be submitted to the Manufactured Housing Division (MHD), and a new title would be issued. When a home became real property or was declared for business use or salvaged, the title was cancelled, and the tracking of the ownership of the home by the MHD ceased.

After June 2003, SB 521 replaced the Certificate of Title with the Statement of Ownership and Location (SOL). The SOL is a statement of the information contained in the MHD official record for a manufactured home. The ownership and location record of every manufactured home in Texas is now tracked by the MHD regardless of whether the home is for business use only, is salvaged, or is treated as personal or real property. Because the SOL simply confirms the MHD official record, no document of title is needed to evidence ownership. If the MHD record states that someone owns a manufactured home, that record is conclusive evidence of such until and unless the record is changed. (Top)

-----------------------------------------------------

How do I get an SOL?
You must apply to the MHD for it within 30 days from the date of any sale or relocation of the home. This is very important because ownership of a manufactured home does not pass or vest at a sale or transfer of the home until a completed application for the issuance of an SOL is filed with the department. If you purchase your home from a licensed retailer, they may assist you in completing the necessary forms, and they must provide you with all information and supporting documents that are necessary to complete your application. If you purchase a new home, the retailer must file the SOL application for you. If you acquire a home from someone other than a retailer, you may obtain the necessary forms from our website or by calling 1-800-500-7074. To determine what you will need to submit with your SOL application, please read Applying for an SOL.

-------------------------------------------------------

Abel B. Ramirez II

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:18 am

YOUR state has some of the best organized ownerwship records in the country..all ownership records are public and all lien info is available tro you easily..

info can be had here....http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/mh/ownership-location.htm
even instaltion and inspection info is available...seems pretty straight forward. to me....

hilary

Post by hilary » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:21 pm

we are trying to refinance our home and was told that apprection value would be more since we are now known as real property. is this true? i live in nc

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:32 am

No good reason for this statement..appreciation is a function of location..If the general area you are in is desirable asnd folks want to move there..appreciation will follow..Has little to do with ownership documents..

Abel B Ramirez II

Post by Abel B Ramirez II » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:40 am

I think what you are talking about has to do with the fact that homes set on a foundation on land tned to be worth more than the same home in a park. The homes themselves are worth the same, but because the one attached to the land is more desirable, it is feasible that a potential buyer would want to pay more for it. Mobile homes in most cases never appreciate. They are just like cars, once they become so old the only appreciation is what you make in renovations/repairs and what someone will be willing to pay for.