Resale of 1966 mobile home

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
Nancy Mitchell

Resale of 1966 mobile home

Post by Nancy Mitchell » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:26 am

Wondered if anyone out there has run across this particular problem: I am a real estate broker in Southern California where housing prices have escalated out of sight, and mobile homes are going up into the 300,000's because of the very limited housing. I listed and sold a 1966 mobile home in a park...the home was in very good condition and the lady who passed away, owned it in Joint Tenancy with her son. The son was offered a small amount by a dealer who wanted to pull out the home and replace it with a new one, but he chose to list it for a better price.
After checking with the park manager, I was told it was ok to proceed...then a couple of days later, after opening escrow, the park manager's wife called my buyer and told her that the park owner wanted the home pulled out of the park. Of course the buyer backed out. The seller is threatening to sue the park owner. After researching Civil Code Section 798 and the Health and Safety Code, I find that unless the home is in very bad condition, the park owner can't just arbitrarily make the owner sell it to a dealer unless it's a single wide. The home is a double wide. The seller is not mad at me...he's mad at the park owner for making him "lose" probably $15,000- $20,000 by forcing him to sell to a dealer. I would welcome any thoughts or comments.
I feel very bad for the owner of the mobile home because he's being forced to do something he doesn't want to do. The "buyer" that was going to purchase the home was concerned that if SHE tried to sell the home later on down the line, the same thing would happen to her.

Nancy Mitchell

Re: Resale of 1966 mobile home

Post by Nancy Mitchell » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:37 am

Update...On listing of 1966 mobile home...When the seller got an attorney, the park owner backed down, and now the home will be allowed to remain in the park. It is back on the market. It's quite a nice old mobile, very clean, and should sell.

Nancy Mitchell