Corrosion of Underground Skirting

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
Celeste

Corrosion of Underground Skirting

Post by Celeste » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:24 pm

Hi. I live in Arizona and I recently purchased a 1980's MH with my boyfriend. The skirting is buried ("pit" set up), making the house appear to be at ground level with a crawl space underneith. The skirting is steel and is completely rusted through in some places. This has caused erosion under the house and we're wondering how extensive the replacement is. We are prepared to do the work ourselves, if possible. Can we put sheets of galvanized steel there? If so, should we access them by digging around the perimeter of the house, or will it be easier to venture into the crawl space?
What concerns me the most is the conrete driveway that runs the entire length of the home, and has a room added at the end. There's a porch the same size on the other side of the home. Both run next to the house, and are about 10' wide. Obviously it's impossible to excavate there, but if there's erosion under these areas, how would we replace and retain the dirt that's missing?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Celeste