55+ rules

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
Andy

55+ rules

Post by Andy » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:05 am

I recently bought a Travel Park in Florida. It was previously ran as an age 55 and over park. Over the past 4 years it has been under new ownership and they ran it as an adult park (18 years and older). I want to return the park to a 55 and over park again. I have 240 sites, of which 135 of them are permanent residents. Of the 135 permanents 6 are owned by people under 55. How can I legally go about getting these 6 out of the park. These 6 also cause the majority of the problems for me and our guests.

David Oxhandler

Re: 55+ rules

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:00 am

Andy -

There is a full body of state laws regulating MH community/tenant relations within Florida. Eviction requires a written notice, form the park owner, by certified or registered mail prior to any court action. Evictions can be initiated for failure to pay lot rent, violation of certain local laws, violation of park rules or regulations, and change in land use.

You can visit the web site of the Division of Florida Land Sales, Condominiums and Mobile Homes. The division is charged with the enforcement of Chapter 723, Florida Statutes, the Florida Mobile Home Act. The law applies to any residential tenancy in which a manufactured home is placed upon a rented or leased lot in a community in which 10 or more lots are offered for rent or lease. The Division offers a full copy of the state regulations on the web. To go there
CLICK HERE NOW

The Florida law is unique in some aspects, because it recognizes certain land equity rights for folks who lease land in a MH community. The law provides for specific instances and requires notices to the tenant that are very specific in their wording and timing. For the best advice contact the Florida MH Association.

Florida Manufactured Housing Assn.
2958 Wellington Circle North, Suite 100
Tallahassee, FL 32308-6686
Phone: 850/907-9111
Fax: 850/907-9119