unauthorized residents

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
Carol B. Jackson

unauthorized residents

Post by Carol B. Jackson » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:18 pm

I am the manager of an almost 500 site community. We have a very strict application process and run a criminal check on all potential residents over the age of 18. We do not accept convicted felons. We also keep a close eye on residents who have extra people come to live with them after their lease is signed. We insist on running criminal checks on them and adding them to the lease. This is all in an effort to keep track of who is living here, as we are very security conscious. Nevertheless, there have been instances where we have discovered that registered sex offenders are living in the community. Or at least they are using an address in our community. This information is readily available on the internet, complete with photos. I have had irate residents storm into my office, waving photos of their neighbors. We can't (and don't want to) add the person to the lease if he is indeed living here. In every case so far, the legal resident is a "good" (pays on time, no other problems). I would appreciate hearing from other managers who have dealt with this problem. By the way, I have contacted the appropriate authorities in our area and none of these people are violating either their parole or probation, so they can't be picked up. Thanks for any input.

Dan O

Re: unauthorized residents

Post by Dan O » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:40 am

Carol
Residence who have people living in their homes can be a problem for many a community operator. Depending on your state laws, you may have some options open.
I would think that in your rules if you insist that anyone liiving in your community more than, say, a week must pass your entry requirments. At least if that is instituted you have somthing to say to thoes who are concerned about the "visitors.".
Again, this may be subject to your state laws governing operation of manufactured housing land lease communities.

Good luck

Mary Navarro

Post by Mary Navarro » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:58 pm

In Georgia we can evict a person not on the lease as a John Doe. I have yet to see a park owner evict John Doe!! My solution is an occupancy based on the number of bedrooms. If extra residents show up, I give an eviction notice to the primary tenant. This usually works but can be chalanged. Good luck.

Leighsah79

Post by Leighsah79 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:13 pm

Oh that is sort of like me living next to a man that spent 5 years in prison while his wife was out beinf convicted of prostitution 3 times. There nothing you can do about it, well not here at Windsong.