Homes of Merit to sell.

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
Rob

Homes of Merit to sell.

Post by Rob » Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:06 pm

I have a 2001 Homes of Merit house that was built to their specs from a Cavalier floorplan and we paid for upgrades etc. It's a 4/3 and just over 2300 square feet. Now we are relocating to another state and will be selling the house. We are in Northern Florida. We have just about $78 into it and in hindsight, I wish we would have done a better job at negotiations. I've heard from sources that dealers typically make in the area of 20% profit. Which in this case, would be OVER $15,000! That ain't bad. Is this true? If so, where do I apply?

What would be a reasonable price? The house looks like a model home as it should for being under a year old. I know these depreciate severely like a car does. I am cringing at the thought of what I will hear. We own the land and have a buyer for the lot, but not the home. Also, is there anywhere I can get a true value for this house online or otherwise?

Thanks
Rob

Babs

Re: Homes of Merit to sell.

Post by Babs » Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:45 pm

Go to Nada.com.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:53 am

By far the best way to sell this home is with the land....This means you will have to list it in the MLS and it will take some time to sell...JUST like any other kind of home...

To sell this home without the land will be very costly...The moving costs to your site (About 6K) and the new buyer will have to have the cash to pay this sum again (actually more be cause ot the tear down cost)....The skirting probably is also lost..because the moved home will likely be different height...The trim package in side will also be wasted...Your sales tax is also wasted....So you see...if you got full retail price you paid...you still lose about 12K for these lost expenses...

If you are looking for a quick sale..you are staring at a 20K or more bath...Sold as a package you should be able to recover all your costs for the land and home...This is much too short of time for this or any home to have appreciated enough to cover the sales costs though...If you use a real estate pro..this will be about 7%.....

You big mistake was not buying the home...be glad you got a HOM..You would have much more trouble selling that Cav in such short order..It was deciding to move on such short amount of time...You would be in trouble with any type of home you had bought only 1 year ago...I hope that new job had a very large raise...

P.S....The gross profits are very low in the industry next to the other things you buy...For instance...if you bought a coffee table and end table for your new home at a furniture store they made about 200% gross margin..or about $49,000 on each $78,000 worth of sales...Even Walmarts average gross margin is over 100%...

David

Post by David » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:35 am

When The home is sold in most cases it will need an apprasial not NADA but at fiar market value can be obtained on a home in a park. In a lot of places around the country I have seen 1983 single wide home sell for 75-80,000 dollars. have any appraisal done for your own piece of mind. Then you can listed it with a agency for sale or list it yourself in a local newspaper.

I am a loan broker and thats the way my financing works anyway. Dealers even do spec homes in parks. I from time to time buy the used homes and resell them myself for a profit

So if this is a was a new 2001. It can olny be financned as a used home so you may as well take advantage.

Dave
www.mobilefinancing.com