dissatisfied customer

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
Rhonda Reading

dissatisfied customer

Post by Rhonda Reading » Mon Jul 23, 2001 8:32 am

My future husband and I purchased a home in Oklahoma to be moved to property we own in Texas. The utilities (water, power, septic, drive, washer, dryer, freezer) were figured into the final price and loan for the home. The figure the salesman came up with was not correct, (way to low) now the owner and salesman have stated that the only thing they can do to get our septic system on our property is not include the freezer, washer and dryer and a promotional storage building. The weekend we bought our home was Grand Opening and they were giving away carports, lawnmowers and storage buildings. We chose a storage building; they will not let us have that either because of the price mistake.

We have come to find out that the reason the pricing was so low was that the dealer never intended to follow the state and county codes with permits, but have a sub-contractor go onto our property and do the work at a low cost. We stopped that by alerting the state Texas Dept of Transportation.

What can we do? We are eager to move into our home, but feel like the contract should be honored. We do not have the money to do the septic ourselves. Really I think there are two contracts and two sets of books on our account. The finance company does not know about the water, electric, drive and septic. Everything was done and looks good, but septic system, it was $2300 to low on the final price.

We need advice? We want everything we ask for when we drove onto their lot to buy the home. We are very dissatisfied with the whole idea of living in this manufactured home that has cost us time, money, headaches and heartache.Of course this no fault of the manufacturer, the home is beautiful.
I am looking for suggestions not trying to make trouble.

Jimmy

RE: dissatisfied customer

Post by Jimmy » Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:59 am

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, I have been the mobile home business for 10 years and these problems exist everywhere.

Check if your state has a board governing mobile home dealers in your state.
The Manufactuer Housing Instituite.

Call your financing source!!! If it was provided by the dealer and simply express your concerns.

James

DD

RE: dissatisfied customer

Post by DD » Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:31 am

Obviously, the dealership should do the honorable thing and eat the cost difference. After all, it's not your fault that they not only miscalculated the price, but also planned to contract sub-standard work in the placement of your home. If they promised you a storage shed in a promotional deal, they need to give you what they promised. That's like buying a car fully-loaded, getting the financing, signing the paperwork, and then having the dealer tell you after the fact that they miscalculated the cost of power steering, and you'll now have to fork out $800 cash if you want it. Unacceptable! Perhaps this new dealership has a few things to learn about customer service.

Have you contacted the Attorney General's office in Oklahoma? They may be able to help, or at least steer you in a direction where you can find some help. You might also want to talk to an attorney who specializes in contract law. Did they guarantee your price for everything in writing? If so (depending on the state), they may have to honor it no matter what they say. I wouldn't take just their word for anything.

Rhonda Reading

RE: dissatisfied .. is feeling better

Post by Rhonda Reading » Wed Jul 25, 2001 10:34 am

Thank you all for your input I have started contacting the different housing authorities with complaints.

Tired of Whiners

Re: dissatisfied customer

Post by Tired of Whiners » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:46 pm

People who show up at a sales center on a Grand Opening weekend and expect to purchase a home for delivery to another state most likely do not have all of the correct figures at hand. In this situation the best a salesperson or dealer can do is ESTIMATE costs. So you don't have $2300 to complete your septic system because it wasn't figured into the deal? You shouldn't be a homeowner. Being a homeowner has responsibilities and costs involved. Why would you be financing a washer, dryer and freezer? These aren't utilities, they are major appliances and personal property, not real property. They will wear out before your mortgage is paid off, so why on earth would you finance them? As for the dealer hiring a sub-contractor to do the on-site work, well yes, of course that's what they do. Did the salesperson or dealer tell you that the dealership you went to was just a hobby operation and he's actually in the construction business to do septic systems and dirt work? Probably not. Perhaps he CAN do these things in-house in the state where his sales center is located, but you wanted them done in TEXAS, not Okalahoma. You started "making trouble" when you "alerted" the Texas DOT. You are stating that the dealer wasn't planning to follow the state and county codes or obtain permits. More likely than an intent to circumvent the laws was the lack of information when you wheeled into the dealership on a grand opening weekend without information about the required permits and laws pertaining to the location where you own property. Instead of expecting the dealer and salesperson in Oklahoma to have a crystal ball why didn't you as the landowner come with the information in hand so they could have more accurately anticipated the costs involved in your septic system to be located on your land? Clearly they were trying to help you and all you want to do is complain and shift the responsibility and blame to someone else in an attempt to get something for nothing. You and people like you will go whining to every consumer group and government official rather than take responsibility for your actions or the lack thereof. Instead of alerting everyone that you want everything you ask for and it's up to someone else to get it for you and apparently pay for it, why don't you get off your butt grab a shovel and start digging. Put in your own septic system with your own hands, blisters and all, and it wont cost $2300. Better yet, look into living in a yurt with a composting toilet and a gray water system and you wont have to worry about a septic system at all.

Tired of Whiners

Re: RE: dissatisfied .. is feeling better

Post by Tired of Whiners » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:52 pm

As I stated in my other post, people like you will spend unlimited amounts of time and energy complining to any consumer group or government official who will listen. Perhaps if people like you had to complete IQ testing rather than simply fill out credit applications then situations like yours could be avoided entirely.

rmurray

Re: dissatisfied customer

Post by rmurray » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:31 pm

I assume you did not notice that this original post was 6 years old.. by now I assume the septic problem has been taken care of..You sound like a bitter salesperson...One who wants to blame the customer first....A quality salesperson would have gotten the proper info prior to the sale....Sorry you are so bitter...